• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro PCS has 3G now!!!

While driving around today I noticed that the towers near I-85 I had 3G, but the ones further away and nearer my house, no 3G. I have to contact MetroPCS and find out when they will update the towers near to me. At least I have WIFI at home and get to use that, but the 3G will be handy. I have to drive around more and see where else the 3G is working.:eek::rolleyes::D

shouldn't be to long, but if you call metro they will tell you there is no 3g, just a heads up.;)

Upvote 0
I was "borrowing" wifi to tether like I usually do, and my phone restarted. When I checked I had 3G

snap20111107_121332-1.png

Wonder how long it lasts.

Upvote 0
Called metro today to see if Detroit is closer to getting 3g. The Rep told me I should be getting it. And maybe I just need to reset my phone. I told her my reason for asking was because I went to Atlanta over the weekend and got 3g. She then proceeded to tell me that 1x and 3g are the same thing. So I just said why was I getting data speed around 1mb on 3g and on 1x between 100 and 200kbps. She had no logical response to that. But that she was sorry for the inconvenience and she will reset my phone. My guess is when or if we get 3g its gonna be capped and not be much faster than 1x. JMO. I know some people are getting normal speeds on 3g now but most of them forced their prl. So how fast will it be when everyone has it?

Upvote 0
Called metro today to see if Detroit is closer to getting 3g. The Rep told me I should be getting it. And maybe I just need to reset my phone. I told her my reason for asking was because I went to Atlanta over the weekend and got 3g. She then proceeded to tell me that 1x and 3g are the same thing. So I just said why was I getting data speed around 1mb on 3g and on 1x between 100 and 200kbps. She had no logical response to that. But that she was sorry for the inconvenience and she will reset my phone. My guess is when or if we get 3g its gonna be capped and not be much faster than 1x. JMO. I know some people are getting normal speeds on 3g now but most of them forced their prl. So how fast will it be when everyone has it?

1x is actually true 3G. Its the first gen 3G. EvDo is the newest and fastest 3g. Metro's 3G is capped at 1x speeds basically and their 4G is capped at real 3g basically. I read some where Metros 4g is suppose to reach 16000kbps

Upvote 0
Woke up to find my phone with the 3G icon. It wasn't like that yesterday, nor at night before I went to bed so maybe it happened real late, idk. I'm in Miami, airport area btw so it stayed that way from my home, work, and it's still that way now.

Went from 2019 to 2025. Haven't done any speed test yet and dunno about the rest of the stuff.

Upvote 0
Woke up to find my phone with the 3G icon. It wasn't like that yesterday, nor at night before I went to bed so maybe it happened real late, idk. I'm in Miami, airport area btw so it stayed that way from my home, work, and it's still that way now.

Went from 2019 to 2025. Haven't done any speed test yet and dunno about the rest of the stuff.

Quack' I think it came to stay but the down speed is still to slow, only once i got the 200 kbs, it is usually under 100 kbs

Upvote 0
I went to my3gspeed.com and got this:

Download Speed:

0.92mbps [920 kbps | 115kBps]

Latency: 573 ms
Test Time: 9.14 secs
Test Device: Android 2.2

Upload Speed:

0.11 mbps [112 kbps | 14 kBps]
Latency: 38.31 secs
Test Device: Android 2.2

Dunno how to screen shot so that's about it. I tried the test a few more times and each time, the results are different (lower and lower for some reason) But those were my first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones