1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Metro s3 Sim card problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sdb209, Feb 11, 2014.

1. sdb209

sdb209 Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2013
    Today I bought the blue s3 used from someone. Met at metro store, the rep checked the phone out said it was a real metro phone and it wasn't blacklisted or anything. The lady selling the phone had to call customer service to disconnect her line. Then the rep said she switched my line over and was showing on her end. But test calls wouldn't work and the lady's number was still showing up under phone info.

The rep said its because it could take up to 2 hrs to register. So I left the metro store but my other f3 was still connected. I called metro and spoke to a rep and he said the line switch had failed. We kept trying to get it to work and he basically said the phone was broken. I argued with him, and he had me switch my Sim card from my f3 to the s3 and it eventually worked.

I never had a issue switching lines before.
    But now my husband wants to upgrade from his admire to my old f3 and it has no Sim. The rep said to use the Sim from the s3.

But if it wouldn't work in the s3, why would it work in the f3?

If it fails to work, will they sell a new Sim?

Advertisement

2. Muilisx

Muilisx Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Owner of Dogs On Wheels
    Long Island, NY
    The new SIM should of worked, that's kind of odd. I purchased mine new online, and it came with a new SIM and was fine. I've been with Metro for many years and recently, switching phones has been giving me issues. You use the automated service, and it still needs to transfer you to a rep. The only thing I can think of is that the person at the Metro store did something wrong or half assed when switching your F3 to ur S3. They most likely switched the phone over but not ths SIM. When activating a GSM phone, you not only need the phones IMEI but you also need the SIM cards number. He/She probably messed up setting up the new SIM so when you put the SIM in from the F3, everything was fine. As far as HAVING to use the SIM card that came with the S3 isn't true. They just prefer a fresh SIM for a phone that's new or switch but you don't NEED to. If everything is working fine now with the F3's SIM, then just leave it be.

Also, check to see if the person before you did the 4.1 to 4.3 update. If not, do that before setting up the phone, and installing apps as you'll need to do a factory reset right after.

funkylogik likes this.
  3. sdb209

sdb209 Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks for responding.
    Actually the Sim in the s3 was not new. It was already in the phone when I bought the s3 from the girl used.

Not sure if it makes any difference.

And she did not do the update, but I've been reading bad reviews about problems when updating. So I have not updated yet.

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    The person on the phone was talking nonsense.
    Throw the sim that came in the s3 in the bin. Thats useless now and the person who sold you it should have kept the sim.
    If your husband's old phone didnt have a sim in it, contact the carrier and tell them you need a new sim for his account/number to put in your old phone (the f3) :thumbup:
    Can anyone in the US confirm if what im saying is right lol? (Ive made mistakes in the past with this stuff but we've always used sim cards in UK) :)

BRAINZ2013 likes this.
  5. Muilisx

Muilisx Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Owner of Dogs On Wheels
    Long Island, NY
    I didn't mean S3's card was new, I was just saying they prefer new cards, I'm surprised the rep in the store didn't give you a new one, and went from there. It still seems to me that the rep messed it up and didn't put ur account on the SIM that came with the S3, so that is why the F3's SIM worked, and the S3's existing SIM did not.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering why my name is different.

http://androidforums.com/lounge/828250-ny11725-muilisx.html

6. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Lol hey bro :beer::D

Muilisx likes this.
  7. sdb209

sdb209 Newbie
    None

Feb 19, 2013
    Oh sorry about the confusion.

Yes, that is what I am guessing as well.
    And I'm still pretty pissed I spent more than 30 min on the phone with metro trying to get it to work thinking I got scammed out a phone.

And paid the store rep $15 for nothing.

8. Muilisx

Muilisx Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Owner of Dogs On Wheels
    Long Island, NY
    Yooooo :smokingsomb:

9. Muilisx

Muilisx Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Owner of Dogs On Wheels
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, that's unfortunate. You could of always called from the start, the reps over the phone could of easily told you if the ESN ( IMEI ) on the phone he sold you was clear for activation on another line. It would of cost you $0, and the rep over the phone probably most likely would of activated it correctly the first time with the SIM the S3 already had inside of it. However, it's a good lesson learned as now you and a bunch of other members will know to just call for information like that instead of having to drive to a MetroPCS location. I understand you met the person there for security reasons not to get scammed, but you honestly could of met him at a McD, and called MetroPCS as you would of found out just as easily serial was clear.