• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS 4G not all that impressive

No, it's called extended home network. Talk and text guaranteed, but data not available in all markets.
Is there anyway you can post a link so I could verify that.... I actually keep $20.00 on my travel talk at ALL TIMES just in case there's some family emergency and I have to go somewhere where I dont get coverage....

I never heard of the extended home network.....

Upvote 0
think a bout it. why do you need 30mb down to check your email or look at webpages? all you need is a 1.5mb down connection to do that, heck, not even that. you gonna look at movies? have fun with that with 2GB of data per month(4GB now with the promotion for verizon. yippie!). you cant stream or download hardly anything because of the data limitation unless you want a $200 cell phone bill every month.

having all that speed just to check email, look at websites, and watch a video or two is like getting a Ferrari just to go to the grocery store down the street. the car is worthless if it just sits in the garage most of the time. whats the point of having speeds of 30mb down if you cant do anything with it? the limitations are like a built in speeding ticket.

haha that's a good point man. that's like having a big ol V12 under the hood with only a one gallon gas tank. lmao.

Upvote 0
Is there anyway you can post a link so I could verify that.... I actually keep $20.00 on my travel talk at ALL TIMES just in case there's some family emergency and I have to go somewhere where I dont get coverage....

I never heard of the extended home network.....

It's not really necessary to keep $$ in travel talk acct @ all times. If you are going to be traveling not only check the coverage map for your destination but also the route. Even then, I always put @ least $10 in just to be safe.

Upvote 0
I get 4mbps going both ways where I'm at so metro works great for me. And since I don't travel I never leave the coverage area.

4mbps is enough to stream whatever video I need with no hassle. You don't need 20mbps to stream video, surf the web, and sync up your email and social media and the stuff you would need such speed for like downloading huge files will use up your data allowance in no time flat.

So again, the 5gb limit makes those speeds useless and irrelevant.

Upvote 0
"The LTE network has theoretical data throughput speeds on the forward link of up to 22.7Mbps for a 5 MHz paired channel, based on information from standards bodies, with a typically experienced mean data throughput speed across all geographic areas on the forward link of 1Mbps on a 5 MHz paired channel based on total kilobytes of traffic as measured at the gateway for the period from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The typically experienced mean data throughput speed across all geographic areas for a paired 1.4 MHz LTE carrier is similar to the theoretical peak data rate of our EVDO network based on total kilobytes of traffic as measured at the gateway for the period from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The actual data speeds of services delivered on the MetroPCS networks will vary, depending on, among other things, the amount of spectrum available to MetroPCS in the major metropolitan area, the type of spectrum used, the configuration of the network, the type of wireless access device used, the usage of the network, the number of users using the network, the distance of the user to the serving cell site, interference, geographic and atmospheric conditions, the speed and capacity of backhaul, and the performance of third party networks and services, including the public Internet. In addition, the data speeds for LTE will vary depending on the bandwidth of the LTE carrier which is devoted to the service, which varies from a paired 1.4 MHz carrier to up to a paired 5 MHz carrier."- VIA METROPCS.COM

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones