• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] 4.3 Available

https://mega.co.nz/#!NMw2jDwB!IjmGR-Cs4A8EGn58iqnMq-SEalGfewnQwV3oYyjPPLo

odin flashable of NA1 modem my servers speed is extremely slow to upload atm, so its gunan take 40 mins just for this modem so ill be using mega links until teh files are up :) ill make a flashable one for recovery soon enough, figured yall would like a quick taste of updated speeds/battery :)

Reactions: Avera6
Upvote 0
https://mega.co.nz/#!ZZhASabA!jP0KHqUBATBZFQjYDxaghSHljIq1g2NYygGYKmQGOp8

download, extract the zip and inside you'll find a trimmed tar with just 4.3's system and boot kernel. i have no idea if this will boot, how far it will boot etc so at your own risk, but hopefully it works and you guys can have 4.3 without the new bootloaders.

Flash it in odin coming from 4.4 aosp almost got to the setup screen then it reboot and just sit in the MetroPCS boot animation.

Upvote 0
purely warranty. root is as easy as it was before, flash cwm/twrp and root using superuser/supersu.zip

To start things off, thanks for all the work you've put in for the galaxy s3 in regards towards rooting. I think I've run into a problem. I too just received the update for my MetroPCS Galaxy S3, which upgraded me from 4.1.2 to 4.3. Before the update, I was happily rooted and had the CWM recovery/superSU app. After the update my root went away but my CWM recovery stayed.

I went ahead and installed the superSU zip file through recovery mode, but when I try to open the superSU app, a prompt comes up stating that the binary file couldn't be found. Then another prompt comes up in the status bar stating: "Security Notice- Unauthorized acces to a secured area has been blocked, tap to learn more". I'm guessing this is the nex knox security they included with the update.

My question is if I would still be able to root my device on 4.3 since I've tried the steps that I quoted above and didn't achieve root. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
To start things off, thanks for all the work you've put in for the galaxy s3 in regards towards rooting. I think I've run into a problem. I too just received the update for my MetroPCS Galaxy S3, which upgraded me from 4.1.2 to 4.3. Before the update, I was happily rooted and had the CWM recovery/superSU app. After the update my root went away but my CWM recovery stayed.

I went ahead and installed the superSU zip file through recovery mode, but when I try to open the superSU app, a prompt comes up stating that the binary file couldn't be found. Then another prompt comes up in the status bar stating: "Security Notice- Unauthorized acces to a secured area has been blocked, tap to learn more". I'm guessing this is the nex knox security they included with the update.

My question is if I would still be able to root my device on 4.3 since I've tried the steps that I quoted above and didn't achieve root. Thanks in advance.
you can still root but your going to turn on the Knox security thing. i dont know how to go about root since we just got the new update

Upvote 0
as for root i would try [ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3 - xda-developers and lemme know how it works. that security warning is a kernel/app nonsense. make sure you are also using the latest supersu.

sucks to hear about the tar though, id really like to know what prevents it from booting right off the first boot, so if anyone could odin it and do a factory reset then grab the logcat as it boots up that would be awesome :)

Upvote 0
as for root i would try [ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3 - xda-developers and lemme know how it works. that security warning is a kernel/app nonsense. make sure you are also using the latest supersu.

sucks to hear about the tar though, id really like to know what prevents it from booting right off the first boot, so if anyone could odin it and do a factory reset then grab the logcat as it boots up that would be awesome :)

I tried the saferoot link you posted and followed the instructions to the t but when I get to the step with the command prompt pushing the files towards the device I get
"setsockopt() failed: Bad Address
this device is not supported
kallsyms_addresses search failed
Checking if root succeeded...
Unfortunately, rooting failed. Cleaning up."

I'm guessing the problem is because the MetroPCS model is SCH-R530M, which this root method was not intended for. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'd also have no problem getting that logcat for you if I knew what it was haha.

I've also tried to downgrade through ODIN back to stock 4.1.2 while on 4.3 but the process gets stuck on the boot step and then says it has failed. To anyone else wanting to keep root, I suggest not upgrading to 4.3 as I regrettably did.

Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0
root should be as easy as flashing the latest supersu in recovery. this was an issue early on and now superuser gets around this kind of stuff.

After flashing the ROM update (from Samsung's website) and TWRP through Odin, I flashed SuperSU v.1.91 in recovery... rebooted, updated SU's binaries - it asked yet again if I wanted to disable Knox, only THIS TIME it worked.
I am now rooted on 4.3

Thanks Shab!

Reactions: treerootz
Upvote 0

Extract this zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyok9pv73u3syt9/root.zip and flash the files in recovery then see if SU works.

Upvote 0
downloading kernel source now since they were nice enough to finally put it up. im also uploading the entire tar from 4.3 for anyone that wants it.

anyone on 4.3 that can flash my unbrick creator zip in recovery would have my thanks. without a 4.3 unbrick image if anyone bricks while on 4.3 they are left up craps creek :(. http://shabbypenguin.com/getdownload.php?file=Tools/Unbrick-Creator.zip

regarding a 4.3 rom etc i need to find out what is preventing system.img and boot.img from booting, by teh fact that it boots to setup and then crashes leaves me guesisng something in teh rom detects that 4.3 isnt fully installed and dies. as i do not know what partitions actually contain the needed stuff vs knox i would rather not risk someones device trying to guess what can be safely flashed without the new knox security.

Upvote 0
downloading kernel source now since they were nice enough to finally put it up. im also uploading the entire tar from 4.3 for anyone that wants it.

anyone on 4.3 that can flash my unbrick creator zip in recovery would have my thanks. without a 4.3 unbrick image if anyone bricks while on 4.3 they are left up craps creek :(. Downloading...

regarding a 4.3 rom etc i need to find out what is preventing system.img and boot.img from booting, by teh fact that it boots to setup and then crashes leaves me guesisng something in teh rom detects that 4.3 isnt fully installed and dies. as i do not know what partitions actually contain the needed stuff vs knox i would rather not risk someones device trying to guess what can be safely flashed without the new knox security.

Done. Unbrick image created.

Upvote 0
After flashing the ROM update (from Samsung's website) and TWRP through Odin, I flashed SuperSU v.1.91 in recovery... rebooted, updated SU's binaries - it asked yet again if I wanted to disable Knox, only THIS TIME it worked.
I am now rooted on 4.3

Thanks Shab!

do you have a link to where you got the firmware update on samsung's website?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones