• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] 4.3 Available

https://mega.co.nz/#!ZYRSUTTJ!IlO20HVj1bZ9y0cjuNng9z89Wh-8RXE2aSPj6hWXINw

here is the full odin tar. please keep in mind there is no coming back if you flash this, you will be on 4.3 bootloaders and you can root and trip knox and void your already voided 1 year warranty. rumor has it you wont be able to do an ota to 4.4 should we ever get one (i wouldnt count on it look how long 4.3 took), but nothing is certain and lets say we do get one... we can jsut take an odin tar and work on it until teh rom is booting on the 4.3 bootloaders :p.

this is for people who wish to have teh latest and greatest and dont wanna wait 4 hour sto download ;)

Upvote 0
After flashing the ROM update (from Samsung's website) and TWRP through Odin, I flashed SuperSU v.1.91 in recovery... rebooted, updated SU's binaries - it asked yet again if I wanted to disable Knox, only THIS TIME it worked.
I am now rooted on 4.3

Thanks Shab!

Thanks man! Using your steps, I was able to root my galaxy s3! I'm thinking it had to do with the different recoveries, since the recovery I was using was CWM and it wouldn't work. Flashed TWRP and then installed the SuperSU v.1.91 and was able to achieve root even though I used the same method with CWM and failed. For anyone wanting to go ahead with root, follow the steps outlines above and you too shall receive your goal! Thanks for all the help everyone and keep up the great work everyone!

Upvote 0
are we using pappy's Image or Shabby's full Odin Tar?..

If you're talking about rooting your device, I simply updated OTA to 4.3, flashed TWRP through ODIN then installed the SuperSU v1.91 through the recovery. Once you reboot and open SuperSu, a prompt should come up stating if it should try and disable knox. Click yes and it should tell you that it succeeded. Congrats, you're rooted!

Upvote 0
interesting....

rTyPWhh.png

looks like samthegam will know if we are getting 4.4 long before anyone else :p

Upvote 0
the image i posted from pappy is the Unbrick image, used to unbrick your phone like the guide stickied, teh full odin tar is if you wish to update via odin and dont mind the 4.3 bootloaders.

That stock 4.3 bootloader is REALLY starting to urinate me off!
MAN this thing is a royal pain! I've never seen such security measures and crap like this before.
I consider myself to be a n00b, but man I feel lost like I did back when I starting playing with Froyo. lol

(speaking of that, I just recently read an article that estimated there are currently more people still on Froyo 2.2 than are KitKat 4.4)
:hmmmm2:

Upvote 0
That stock 4.3 bootloader is REALLY starting to urinate me off!
MAN this thing is a royal pain! I've never seen such security measures and crap like this before.
I consider myself to be a n00b, but man I feel lost like I did back when I starting playing with Froyo. lol

(speaking of that, I just recently read an article that estimated there are currently more people still on Froyo 2.2 than are KitKat 4.4)
:hmmmm2:

What exactly are you trying to do. Have u tried removing the knox apps and files? I have completely remove it and haven't had any problems so far.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
what do you mean soft root/ hard root?

Maybe I'm using the wrong term?
Some apps say I'm rooted, some don't and I think it's because my kernel is secure.
See, I had got used to using Android Commander with my other ROMs... just lazy I guess. lol It hasn't been updated in forever, and had no support for 4.3 - so, played with a zillion different USB drivers, and copied the platform tools from the latest version of SDK and pasted them into the program/bin files of AC on my PC, and it finally recognized my phone - but... AC won't work because it says I'm not rooted.

Sooo... I installed Busybox on the phone, along with ADBD Insecure (which is supposed to cure the issue with AC not recognizing root. (when you hook the phone up to the PC via USB, you have to have usb debugging turned on) - then "current status" in ADBD Insecure says "Binary: Original" and "USB debugging: Enabled", but when I plug in the USB cable to the PC, Knox kicks in and changes binary status from "Original" to "Insecure" (as it should) and the USB debugging to "Disabled". (which it shouldn't)

I'm at my wits end trying to figure this one out.
Knox disabler didn't work, " su pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid " in ADB didn't help either, so...
I ran a search in Root Explorer for "Knox" and deleted everything I could find... including a few others connected to it, but all that effort didn't remove the Knox security within the bootloader.
It prevents the system from having an insecure binary and usb debugging switched on at the same time.
:thinking:

WTH am I missing here???

Upvote 0
i know with 4.3 selinux broke a lot of apps, a lot of people have issues with things like titanium backup (i prefer helium these days myself). sound slike you should be able to flash a 4.3 tw kernel and be all set though with regards to the adb root that ac needs (which is odd on why it would need that but w/e).

leankernel for 4.3 http://upload.teamuscellular.com/5D0

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones