1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] Dim Screen and couldn't use phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rickinfl, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Rickinfl

Rickinfl Member
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    Male
    Computer Network
    Brooksville Florida
    I just wanted to start this Thread because I was talking about this in CM10 and I wasn't on it anymore plus some other people had the same problem and were following me and I didn't want to clog up the CM10 forum.

Description: Screen is very dim to the point you couldn't hardly see anything and when you turn it on and if you slide to unlock the screen would go black also very dim while getting a phone call you couldn't answer the phone at all. If you keep hitting the power button on and off the screen would eventually come on normal.

Well I tried CM10, Blackbean, AOKP and all did the same thing. I reinstall (Wiped everything) and still same problem. I tried turning off Lock Screen, switching from auto dim to manual. Tried turning off WiFi. Everything I tried didn't work. I switched back over to Stock ROM yesterday and it works perfect now (Well So Far) lol I had more trouble at work than at home it seemed, but then again I used it more out than at home.

I'm going to give it a couple of days and see if it acts up. If not than I'm going to start from Scratch with just CM10 and not install anything in case it's something I was bringing over from Stock ROM. I have no clue what's going on but by breaking it down by steps I might find it. Now I'm on stock and have no issues that rules out the phone being bad because I started to think the phone was the issue now I know it's not. (So far)

Advertisement

2. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    It's some incompatibility issue. Same thing happened with my indulge back in the day. Flash a new rom and do not add any apps, then add apps in small batches, or preferably one by one. It will rear its ugly head in due course.
    Then you can fuss at the app's developer for the time waist.

3. Rickinfl

Rickinfl Member
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    Male
    Computer Network
    Brooksville Florida
    I think you're right... I've been thinking the same thing. I know the biggest mistake I made was backing up apps on stock ROM with Titanium Backup and restoring them to CM10. I'm going to run it this week on stock to see if the issue is still there since it mostly happens when I'm at work. If all goes good then I'm going to wipe the phone and just install CM10 and run it for a couple of days then if that goes good start bringing my apps in 1 at a time. I hope it works out I really like CM10 it much faster.

4. Rickinfl

Rickinfl Member
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    Male
    Computer Network
    Brooksville Florida
    Think I might of found it. On the Stock ROM it did it to me again yesterday morning. So I really quick looked at what was running and found a Live wallpaper I didn't have running and it was running in processes (Live Earth) So I had for force stop it, dump the cache then uninstalled it and rebooted. How that was even running I have no clue I never used it. So it didn't happen to me the rest of the day so far so good! Lets see what happens in the next couple of days.

5. n4zty

n4zty Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    its alot more than just a live wallpaper. every rom on 4.1.2 has done it to me atleast once and without any apps installed. now i havnt had ics do it to me yet.

6. Rickinfl

Rickinfl Member
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    Male
    Computer Network
    Brooksville Florida
    Ok I'm DONE! I can't take this anymore. I can't answer the phone half the time. I went back to stock and removed all the apps.. it just has stock apps now and it still blacks out. Even if it doesn't ring you have to keep hitting the power button until the lock screen shows up. Sometimes is will flash on dim but goes back black. This is driving me crazy to the point I can't handle it anymore.

How do you return this to Stock? I read the thread they have here and no one gives a straight answer. They say use Odin3, but doesn't tell you how to use it or what you need. Very strange Thread with really no information.

I need to wipe this phone clean to the point it's like I'm taking right out of the box. I want everything wiped off this thing. I need to know if it's the phone or software so that's the starting point for me.

7. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    Return to stock using these steps:
    Install TWRP recovery (if not already installed)
    Download and uncompress the stock TWRP backup
    Place it in your TWRP backup directory.
    Reboot into recovery and wipe the device clean (wipe system)
    The phone will warn you that EVERYTHING will be erased. Wipe it away.
    So you'll be doing both Factory Reset and Wipe System. (that's two different things!)
    Also wipe internal card.
    Then, "restore" the backup that was previously downloaded.
    Reboot the device, and you should be at BONE stock.
    There is also a more involved process I can think of using the dd command and the images provided in my attempted pull from a few monthts ago, but I am not sure how that would work since I never tested it (i.e it may brick the device)
    I don't have JTAG, so I can't test it. Sorry :(
    I might consider PMing you the dd way if the above does not work. But I really can't say it would work.
    But hey, if you brick it, you can always return it to metro and say the device sucks and get a new one! :D :laugh:
    I just don't have the time with my busy work schedule to attempt that at the moment...

mike28 likes this.
  8. Rickinfl

Rickinfl Member
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    Male
    Computer Network
    Brooksville Florida
    Could pulling the battery out for a couple of minutes fix this? I did that today and it's not done it since, but I need to test if for a day or 2.

I've never pulled the Battery out but once when I got the phone. Well all I can do is try right? lol

9. Rickinfl

Rickinfl Member
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    Male
    Computer Network
    Brooksville Florida
    Well I did what you wrote me... No Good :( Went to Metro today and they are replacing the phone tired of screwing with it. I have better things to do with my time instead of fighting with a phone. LOL

Thanks