1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] Hello. Just got SG3. What should I do now :)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bard, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Bard

Bard Android Expert
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Male
    Programmer
    Fort Worth, TX
    Good morning Metro SG3 CDMA users.

I just bought my wife Galaxy Mega, hence her SG3 became mine. My Spirit will go to my mother in low.. you see the chain here lol.

I searched around to get recovery and root, recovery was fine but I am not having success with rooting. It seems like recent Metro update screwed things a lot.

After trying various trials, I bricked phone. I am downloading Shabby's restore file method and will odin it (R530MVQALJ1.tar file with Odin flash).

If it's not much trouble, what route should I take once it's returned to stock. Should I root and recovery first before accepting software update or shoul I completely turn off the software update.

Please help out late joiner here :) Thank you.

Advertisement

2. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    having recovery means you have root, ya just flash supersu in recovery and you've been rooted. or you could flash a custom rom, or you can use Cydia Impactor to root, then use goo manager/rom manager to install teh recovery of your preference :)

welcome to the dark side ;)

3. Bard

Bard Android Expert
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Male
    Programmer
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks, Shabby :)

The strange thing was I was able to install CWM recovery but when I tried to install supersu via recovery I had insertion failed.

Once I flash the stock image, should I skip software update and install Recovery & Root. Then CM11?

4. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    sounds like you fell victim to /system/etc/install-recovery.sh :p. on boot it installs stock recovery, thus removing cwm that you had odin'd. as i suggested, flash teh stock firmware and use cydia to root then you can use rom manager to install cwm.

the only thing youd need from updates is updated modems, of which we have a thread dedicated to flashable versions of them so you can flip through and find teh one that works best for you :). so you can flash cwm and boot directly into recovery and then flash cm11 if youd like, then flash any of the modems. it should be noted some of the stuff is "hidden" on the oudhs subforum so that i could do thread maintenance when needed so they wont appear here. Official Unloved Devices Hit Squad (OUDHS) - Android Forums