• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] High "Android System" Usage

1iwilly

Android Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2011
kissimmee fl
i found this on a search hope it helps others.

I just switched from CM10 to a Touchwiz based rom (FreeGS3) but my battery life is terrible. My Android System usage is always around 70-80%, so I'm pretty sure that's the culprit.
Is there something I can do? I tried a a couple of other stock based roms and it's generally the same thing...might just have to go back to CM.

I had this problem, as did lots of other people. Thankfully, the fix is pretty easy as long as you're comfortable navigating around the file system.

Open your favorite root explorer (ES File Manager for example).
Navigate to system/bin and find the file "gsiff(underscore)daemon".
Rename the file to "gsiff(underscore)daemon.bak".
Reboot.
You should notice the Android System usage do waaaaay down (back to normal).

Let me know how it goes.

Cool find. I just went from AOKP back to Touchwiz but just assumed the drain was natural. I renamed the file about 12 hours ago, rebooted, and the difference is night and day. "Android OS" usage was at about 40% before, it's sitting at 10-15% now. It's still not as good as CM or AOKP, but it will do.
here is the link=http://gs3.wonderhowto.com/how-to/reduce-battery-drain-your-samsung-galaxy-s3-by-fixing-android-system-usage-0142361/

bunch of other good stuff there.

credit goes to Marlon Sanchez

Reactions: 2012HereforNow

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones