• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] How Can I Manually Change My PRL?

if your trying to flash something else besides prl 2032 dont even bother. i was given a new prl named 9033 supposenly a new prl we are getting around the end of this month and its suppose to allow us to connect to sprint's evdo.....didnt work. if your on a old prl like 2031 then try *228 option 5. also if your trying to flash a prl from some other carrier dont even bother nothing happens.

Upvote 0
if your trying to flash something else besides prl 2032 dont even bother. i was given a new prl named 9033 supposenly a new prl we are getting around the end of this month and its suppose to allow us to connect to sprint's evdo.....didnt work. if your on a old prl like 2031 then try *228 option 5. also if your trying to flash a prl from some other carrier dont even bother nothing happens.

Ok You Got Me I'm Trying To Flash A PRL From A Different Carrier, On The Lg Esteem I Was Able To Change It To Any PRL From Any Carrier Do You Know The Reason We Can't On The MetroPCS S3? Its It Just Because The Phone Is New On MetroPCS Line Up And No One Has Found A Way To Do It Yet

Upvote 0
Ok You Got Me I'm Trying To Flash A PRL From A Different Carrier, On The Lg Esteem I Was Able To Change It To Any PRL From Any Carrier Do You Know The Reason We Can't On The MetroPCS S3? Its It Just Because The Phone Is New On MetroPCS Line Up And No One Has Found A Way To Do It Yet

The s3 prl is different from other metro pcs phones, notice with every other phone they are on 3032 and s3 is on 2031/32.

Upvote 0
yea what nuttmeg said but we dont have every answer yet. im speculating perhaps we are flashing it wrong or samsung added some security measures to the phone but dont quote me just speculation.

but im a strong believer of trying things yourself to better understand the challenge than rather being told you cant do it so with that being said you must be on stock ics rom on your gs3 from there you gotta enable hidden menu. once its enable you gotta set your phone on RMNET + DM + MODEM then hit ok. from there qpst and other programs will be able to pull or push files into your phone.

Upvote 0
You can flash prl manually using the phone it self by accessing the iothiddenmenu then there is an option to flash test prl what you do is download the prl in your sd card and rename it to test.prl and then flash in the hidden menu stated earlier. Also like everyone else said honestly we have the best prl already flashing anything is useless or may rather degrade the network.

Reactions: Fabian209
Upvote 0
Ok . though on a rooted sprint not metro. I have looked at metro's version and believe the other poster is correct. I went about it like this. I downloaded a few different prl's (ended up using a modded verizon) went into the programming menu on phone which with sprint is ##data# there you see view and edit. Now alot of advice i found told people they needed to get their msl first. while true to edit. that is not where you flash the prl from. keeping in mind these things. you have to be rooted because you need to rename the prl to test.prl and copy it to the root dir of the internal memory. i recommend making a copy as you will likely need more than one. then in the view / edit menu select view. go to prl write and tap on it. that's it. if you've done everything correctly the phone should say shutting down.then will reboot. i had to try a couple times before it stuck. if you need the old one back that just update prl through system menu. and vice versa. the carriers can and will push prl updates through your phone unless you've blocked it. I work up yesterday morning with a dead battery and a new and as usual useless prl on my phone. reflashed and took on first try. trial and error i guess. i would double check as i'm not sure you can just flash anyone's prl onto any carrier. I'm using a modded one for sprint that allows 3g data on verizons network. hope i've helped

Upvote 0
I'm more interested in what you did can you link us if what your saying is true or share more details of what your trying to say

Its a similar application to qpst I can provide a link for you to download it. I have used it to change/pull prl from the phone and change other things too. like the others said you can change the prl if you are on stock rom with out using this but I'm not on stock so I used DFS.

Upvote 0
Its a similar application to qpst I can provide a link for you to download it. I have used it to change/pull prl from the phone and change other things too. like the others said you can change the prl if you are on stock rom with out using this but I'm not on stock so I used DFS.

Im on a stock rom tried every thing the phone even reboots with every program I mentioned in my first post like its actually doing it but sadly nothing changes on the device im surprised I haven't bricked it lol and yes if you can provide a link to the program you mentioned I would be grateful but your are talking about the "MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S III" Right?

Upvote 0

Going to any other rom wouldn't be a problem just let me know wich one

Upvote 0
Im on a stock rom tried every thing the phone even reboots with every program I mentioned in my first post like its actually doing it but sadly nothing changes on the device im surprised I haven't bricked it lol and yes if you can provide a link to the program you mentioned I would be grateful but your are talking about the "MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S III" Right?

Yes I have the metro pcs s3 running bb6. Here's the link http://db.tt/jdYfZSFa

Upvote 0
how did you get the port number to show up in device manager?

Drivers must be installed then from stock and stock only u must enter hidden menu make sure its enabled first, then switch it to rmnet+dm+modem then hit ok your phone should try to install the modem driver from your computer's device manager. once it done only then you will have a port number. ill repeat again this will only work on stock ics since on aosp roms hidden menu dont exist! so any prl changes will have to be done on stock.

on stock go to dialer and dial this

enable hidden menu.

then i think u dial *#7284# to switch it to rmnet+dm+modem cant remember but im sure some1 can correct me if im mistaken.

Reactions: nuttmeg and mike28
Upvote 0
Drivers must be installed then from stock and stock only u must enter hidden menu make sure its enabled first, then switch it to rmnet+dm+modem then hit ok your phone should try to install the modem driver from your computer's device manager. once it done only then you will have a port number. ill repeat again this will only work on stock ics since on aosp roms hidden menu dont exist! so any prl changes will have to be done on stock.

on stock go to dialer and dial this

enable hidden menu.

then i think u dial *#7284# to switch it to rmnet+dm+modem cant remember but im sure some1 can correct me if im mistaken.

yeah, i was doing it on custom rom, might have been the prob. lol

Upvote 0
I flashed a custom Verizon prl. Although 4g was same. My phone was literally kind of on Verizon network for voice. I mean we can mess around with the setting. Also you will have to flash the metropcs prl couple of time before it sticks so don't freak out if the phone stays in Verizon prl even after few flash. Keep flashing and it will stick.

Upvote 0
I flashed a custom Verizon prl. Although 4g was same. My phone was literally kind of on Verizon network for voice. I mean we can mess around with the setting. Also you will have to flash the metropcs prl couple of time before it sticks so don't freak out if the phone stays in Verizon prl even after few flash. Keep flashing and it will stick.

Does metro allow roaming on other providers? Or will they charge for it?

Sent from my SCH-R530M

Upvote 0
You can flash prl manually using the phone it self by accessing the iothiddenmenu then there is an option to flash test prl what you do is download the prl in your sd card and rename it to test.prl and then flash in the hidden menu stated earlier. Also like everyone else said honestly we have the best prl already flashing anything is useless or may rather degrade the network.

Thanks Man!!!!But Its Actually The ##3282#(##data#) menu Not iothiddenmenu(*#0*#) Best Answer In The Whole Thread:D

Upvote 0
Do they allow it? Or will they charge extra for it. Sent from my SCH-R530M
Depends
On Extended Home(Sprint&Cricket) You get talk,text & 1x(for now I've heard) for no extra cost
But TravelTalk(Verizon) is like 19cents a minute with free texting, no data I believe
All roaming areas have free unlimited texting
Check the map Coverage Map - MetroPCS

Reactions: ruthlessnature
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones