• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] How it Works ? ?

Critique/Corrections/Suggestions encouraged

My File Library:

Driver = Samsung_USB_Driver_v1_4_6_0.exe \ installed on PC
(allows Odin install)

Bootloader = Odin3-v3.04.exe \ installed on PC
(allows "flashing"/loading .tar files onto SG3, loads CWM 6.1.0.5)

Recovery = CWM-d2mtr.tar \ flashed onto SG3 via Odin
(allows nandroid backup and restore \ install .zip files onto SG3 \ wipe, etc)

ROMs =
530MVQAMB2.tar (stock 4.1.2, unrooted \ total wipe, like new)
metro-S3-stock.rar (stock 4.1.2, rooted) ((old/replaced by another??))
Metropolis-1.2.0.zip (custom 4.1.2, rooted)
cm-10.1-20130304-EXPERIMENTAL-d2mtr-M2.zip (custom 4.1.2, rooted)
d2mtr_PAC_JB_4.2.2-BMS-v21.0.0_20130313.zip (custom 4.2.2, rooted)

Root = SuperSU-v0.96+.zip (stock, install in Recovery)

Unknown Purpose = Stock-Recovery.tar (((probably not necessary??)))

Key Apps =
Quick Boot (free) = easy booting into Recovery, Bootloader, etc
ROM Toolbox Pro ($5) = multi-purpose file/app/ROM manager, etc (allows nvbackup)
SuperSU (free) = superuser permission for root access

?? What may I delete ?? Anything Blatantly missing ??

I'm guessing that those are the files he currently has downloaded for his s3 and maybe wondering what else he should download or delete for an emergency situation....??

Correct ! !

I may have some old resources that need to be deleted - "thnk" I have all needed to prevent Bricking, while exploring the mentioned ROMs.

Upvote 0
" Unknown Purpose = Stock-Recovery.tar (((probably not necessary??))) "

THAT is probably one of your most important things to have (along with Odin) that will put you back to stock - like if you ever want to trade or take it back to Metro for any reason... but you'll also need this to go with it as well;

Odin Metro Stock -

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4cdVNzeA4tEYjdWTWMwWER3NXM/edit

Reactions: mike28 and 11jjonn
Upvote 0
I switch back to stock to get the jelly bean update but wasn't able to because of having a recovery installed all it did was to boot into recovery so I gave up and just flash the Odin and update through there but the anal mentality in me tells me that I need to do the update so that I can erase this ics backup I have what you guys think :)

Upvote 0
" Unknown Purpose = Stock-Recovery.tar (((probably not necessary??))) "

THAT is probably one of your most important things to have (along with Odin) that will put you back to stock - like if you ever want to trade or take it back to Metro for any reason... but you'll also need this to go with it as well;

Odin Metro Stock -

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4cdVNzeA4tEYjdWTWMwWER3NXM/edit

Your reply is clarification I am seeking.
Goals: ability to restore to a previous ROM, and to Stock, Unrooted for future OTA updates
(will more than likely will use forum update - faster).

If I understand, the Recovery.tar contains "recovery.img" and odin-metro-stock.tar contains "boot.img.
As both were same file size and date, I thought they might be the same. This type file is burned to CD?
If burned and installed/flashed/loaded, will they = ICS or JB?

I also thought these two files to be outdated - replaced by Shabbypenguin's R530MVQAMB2.tar, which = Stock, Unrooted jb4.1.2?
((which also superceded: metro-S3-stock.rar (stock 4.1.2, rooted)) ??

All these 'moving parts' are 'above my pay grade', but I think I'm getting close to a promotion.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
there has been 3 tars posted, LJ1 is the firmware we got on teh device. LJ3 was the OTA that fixed GPS issues. MB2 is our 4.1.2 update, it is the latest version and garunteed to return you back to complete stock so metro wouldnt have a clue. when i get some tim ill look into modifying the stock tar and making a different one that will hopefully keep your data and reset the counter at the same time.

the reason why i dont bother with a without wipe option before is because if you restore from something like cm or aokp the data you have wont boot when you restore. so a lot of people who dont bother to read would have issues when they start to bootloop. if someone was restoring from metropolis or ldriftas rom no real worries overall, but from an aosp based rom they would need to boot into recovery and do a factory reset, which would wipe your data...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones