• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] New MetroPCS Update MF2 any known root methods?

samthegam

Jun 14, 2011
My Samsung Galaxy S3 received a software update this morning. I have multi window now but had lost root. I previously rooted using the mobile odin method when I updated the firmware to Jellybean. The apps that I had frozen with Titanium Backup remain frozen: My Metro & MetroPCS EASY WIFI. I tried motochopper but it failed to root.

Android Version: 4.1.2
Baseband: R530MVQAMF2
Kernel: 3.0.31 - 1274214 se.infra@SEP-128 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 21 11:30:08 KST 2013
BULD NUMBER: JZ054K.R530MVQAMF2

I would prefer a root method that leaves the device status: Normal

well things we need to know are u on the blue gs3??? or is this the normal white gs3? cuz if ur on the white one like mikey said ur the first to get this update!!!! root can preserved easily using an free app called OTA Root Keeper it temporary hides your root to allow ota update then once update is installed u open up that app and it restores root. also can you verify the state u live in?

Reactions: horsecharles
Upvote 0
well things we need to know are u on the blue gs3??? or is this the normal white gs3? cuz if ur on the white one like mikey said ur the first to get this update!!!! root can preserved easily using an free app called OTA Root Keeper it temporary hides your root to allow ota update then once update is installed u open up that app and it restores root. also can you verify the state u live in?

I live in CA. Yes it is the white CDMA / LTE one. I also got Paper Artist now

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
nuttmeg has the zip up already

ok i figured he would post it... so here :p

www.shabbypenguin.com/OUDstuff/Samsung/Metro/R530M/Stock/MF2/update.zip

make sure you are stock/rooted. if you removed any bloat or froze it this update isnt going to work, flash any mods/tweaks then this update isnt going to work...

I had MetroPCS Easy Wifi & My Metro frozen with Titanium Pro before the update and the update was able to complete. Even though I am not currently rooted MetroPCS Easy Wifi & My Metro are still disabled

Upvote 0
im gonna flash this via mobile odin and clear recovery on it. :D might not give me the option to clear recovery but atleast i can inject root along with it lol brb ill post back results and give the ok to try it out although im sure i might have an issue since metropolis is deodexed but out of boredom what the hell lol

Northern? I'm in sac. I'll use Odin go back to stock and get ya your files shabby

If I can get it.

nah we wouldn't want you to leave your aosp roms just for that besides we sure ur super busy working non-stop on new roms :D :p

Upvote 0
well thats all you'll have.. is the new baseband/modem lol, you wouldn't actually have the new update itself..

not trying to discourage anyone here.. but metropolis is basically a slightly modded/debloated stock rom, so im sure shabby will be able to easily get a metropolis 4.0 out real soon lol
I figured that the update would be nothing more than metropolis 1.3.0 with an updated baseband. Is there something else in the new update that's worth going stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones