• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] S3 on aosp rom true android feel or fake?

mike28

Android Expert
Dec 20, 2010
Tampa
Always wanted to ask this question to the community, as we have many options of roms on our s3, having an asop rom aka bb8 aokp or carbon and so on which gives us the vanilla feel of android the question is this.

Having a custom rom on an s3 will it still be considered a true vanilla experience or only a Nexus can have the real experience since it's a device that comes with stock vanilla feel?

I feel that we drive a car with another engine of course the roms are well put together where we can actually think we have a Nexus device what's your input on this guys :beer::beer:

My experience on aosp roms seems to be pretty pure. Nothing on that phone but stock apps, like 2 pages of apps maximum. The only thing missing is the shape of the phone but thats no biggie.
Something that bother me though, is that sometimes i feel like the s3 is intended to run TW and does not feel correct with aosp. So i switch to metropolis but then i hate the feeling so i go to aosp. It never ends :D

Reactions: mike28
Upvote 0
Most of the AOSP ROMS for the s3 aren't really pure AOSP. As a result, its not the pure google experience. CM and the rest of the dev teams generally add useful features to AOSP, but its a custom AOSP ROM. They are AOSP-based

Maybe nitpicky, but it can make a large difference in some circumstances.

I got rid of touchwiz as soon as I could

Upvote 0
My experience on aosp roms seems to be pretty pure. Nothing on that phone but stock apps, like 2 pages of apps maximum. The only thing missing is the shape of the phone but thats no biggie.
Something that bother me though, is that sometimes i feel like the s3 is intended to run TW and does not feel correct with aosp. So i switch to metropolis but then i hate the feeling so i go to aosp. It never ends :D

Lol me too back and forth back to metropolis I spent more time with metropolis than on asop roms I feel that Samsung did a good job with tw this time

Upvote 0
Our custom ROMs have too many customization options for it to feel like true vanilla. What we have is a sort of Enhanced Vanilla Experience, which in my opinion is better. If I had a nexus I would also be running AOKP. Yes the Google experience is good, but only when Android's true potential is unleashed, does it become great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones