• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] Turn the S3 to accept global Sim guide

Am i horrible or what? :D

No but I am.. :evil:

That is a test from Atlanta.. I was standing behind a major carrier hotel when I did it, location, location, location.

56mtest.png

Upvote 0
This looks like a fairly simple mod. My question to those who have done it already is. Are you still getting 4G when you put the metro pcs sim card back in? I was told that if I removed it I will permanently lose 4G on the phone. I've also seen threads that seem to confirm this and mention something about losing it's synchronization.

Upvote 0
Nope. It will work just fine. Ain't no such thing as losing synchronization.
It's just like changing a SIM card. Swap it out, you got nothing. Put it back in, it works again. The only difference is the uicc card is device - specific while a sim card works on all phones. The phone itself will work with any thing. It's the uicc card that can be blocked.

So don't believe the hype. You'll be fine.

Upvote 0
I just did this but when I went to take the sim from my work phone I noticed it's using the original size sim and we need a micro sim. Being that I need that sim for work I didn't want to cut it. When I turned my S3 back on it took a while for the data to come back I guess it autodetects the settings and changed it from global to the cdma lte which is what metro uses. The thing is that 3G data was the only thing I was getting. Turning off mobile data and turning it back on didn't do it for me. I had to reboot the phone and now I have 4G data back. I can't wait to look for a SIM now to see this phone working as it should have been from the factory.

Upvote 0
Delete the post is not for our phones... that way no one tries it :)

No gonna brick phone I left it so savy people can go ahead and try after checking it out theres no real danger.also he said it dosnt support our phone yet that being the key word we can use link for future reference in terms of updates.thank you for your concerns.

Reactions: nuttmeg
Upvote 0
I spent several days trying to get it to work

I've tried the method using the stock ROM, CM10, AOKP
I've used the Phone Info app and tried all sorts of settings

None worked

Come to think of it, I've never read of a legit Metro PCS GS3 user conclusively confirming that they got it to work

PS: this thread needs to be merged with the reference thread

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones