• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS F6 now shows up as T-mobile LGE LGMS500 in Play Store

Well, T-mobile says they will be keeping the MetroPCS branding, just like how Sprint uses Boost or Virgin Mobile. They are different firmwares with different branding. When I had Virgin Mobile (still have it for the next few days) it lists Virgin Mobile for everything.

Is there anything listing T-Mobile in your build.prop? Perhaps the LG Support Tool changed something. Also, I still don't know why the phone has two model numbers: D500 and MS500. Does one land with T-mobile and the other land with MetroPCS? I could be wrong on this last part.

Upvote 0
I will correct myself in the statement about T-Mobile phasing out Metro, at the time I had read that press release, MetroPCS had not yet done its Reverse Acquisition of T-Mobile and maintain a 50/50 Shareholding to maintain it's place in the mobile empire. At the time of the intitial merger back in 2013, MetroPCS was not a 50% shareholder, the reverse aquisition had not happened yet. So yes T-Mobile was in talks of absorbing all MetroPCS stores and taking down the MetroPCS signs and putting up T-Mobile in it's place.

Now the deal is worked T-Mobile will handle Contract phone services, while MetroPCS will continue to maintain the Prepaid no contract services. However now T-Mobile is a "Public" company, before it was a privately owned company. Now the shares can be sold to any company of their choosing. So the future is up in the air. Maybe AT&T will now try to aquire again like they tried in 2013..

------------

However I will not retract my statement that CDMA is on it's way out. Because it is. Its going to VoLTE and VOIP, hence why our F6 has the option for wifi calling capabilities... Also, in limited capacity some companies will be launching their 5G networks in 2015, at least that's their projected launch date, not an official as of yet. Samsung, Huawei etc. etc.. So BYE BYE CDMA!

In an interview with GigaOM, T-Mobile CTO Neville Ray said that T-Mobile would continue supporting Metro’s VoLTE handsets and mobile VoIP service, but whether it would expand that service to its own network and handsets was still an open question. Ray stressed that T-Mobile eventually plans to migrate its voice traffic to its all-IP 4G networks, but the big issue is timing.

In its initial manifestation, VoLTE probably won’t have much of an impact on consumers. Carriers will transfer their voice services from one network to another and likely charge the same rates for the service. But as VoLTE evolves, carriers will be able to offer a range of multimedia and IP communications features. They will also be able to implement technical enhancements such as HD voice (subscription required) that they simply can’t support on circuit-switched voice networks today. For carriers, there is an even larger implication in VoLTE. Once they turn off their old voice network, they can phase out their 2G and 3G systems are repurpose that spectrum for LTE. Meaning no more CDMA.

In addition, T-Mobile isn’t planning to integrate Metro’s LTE systems into its own. Instead, it plans to shut down Metro’s radio and core networks as soon as the last CDMA phone goes offline. Ray said T-Mobile will keep about 1000 cell sites, and 6000 antenna nodes, but otherwise it will replace all of Metro’s gear with its own base stations and core. That includes the service delivery architecture – in telco parlance is called IP Multimedia System or IMS – that hosts Metro’s VoLTE applications.

Although MetroPCS uses CDMA phone technology and T-Mobile is based on GSM, MetroPCS is already in the process of phasing out CDMA, and its spectrum holdings are broadly complementary: both companies live and breathe in the 1,700 MHz and 1,900 MHz spectrum bands.

Reactions: MrGlowy
Upvote 0
Also, I still don't know why the phone has two model numbers: D500 and MS500. Does one land with T-mobile and the other land with MetroPCS? I could be wrong on this last part.

From what I read on a post from someone in europe, they got the D500 and it came with an 8GB flash module not a 4GB like the MS500. However I have yet to find any spec list that confirms this.

And to answer your question after peeking at my build.prop. This is all I could find.

ro.product.model=LGMS500
ro.product.brand=MetroPCS
ro.product.name=f6_mpcs_tmo_us
ro.build.target_operator=TMO
ro.build.target_operator_ext=MPCS_TMO

Upvote 0
From what I read on a post from someone in europe, they got the D500 and it came with an 8GB flash module not a 4GB like the MS500. However I have yet to find any spec list that confirms this.

And to answer your question after peeking at my build.prop. This is all I could find.

ro.product.model=LGMS500
ro.product.brand=MetroPCS
ro.product.name=f6_mpcs_tmo_us
ro.build.target_operator=TMO
ro.build.target_operator_ext=MPCS_TMO
After flashing the T-mobile stock ROM on my phone it now lists the model number as LG-D500. When I had the MetroPCS ROM it listed it as the LG-MS500. Also, under the battery door it lists D500/MS500.

However, your build.prop lists the correct brand and model. Perhaps try deleting your Play Story data and see if that helps by starting fresh.

Reactions: hubsabubs
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones