• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS Galaxy S5

hopefully, the original Xperia Z wasn't too bad, until the galaxy active came along and totally knocked it down a stair, or flight of stairs

Yea but the active didnt do what it was suppose to do. Turns out it wasnt as waterproof as originally claimed and was a sales bust. Just putting a tiny o ring around the inside of the back cover didnt really make it waterproof. Wasnt a bad phone but wasnt what samsung claimed it was either. They had to replace alot of units that malfunctioned when they got wet.

Upvote 0
Yea but the active didnt do what it was suppose to do. Turns out it wasnt as waterproof as originally claimed and was a sales bust. Just putting a tiny o ring around the inside of the back cover didnt really make it waterproof. Wasnt a bad phone but wasnt what samsung claimed it was either. They had to replace alot of units that malfunctioned when they got wet.

your right about that, but either way, it was a decent beast compared to the Xperia, it was a good phone, but still couldn't tackle the active

Upvote 0
hmm. let me take the thread back to S5 then. i just posted on the S5 section of the forum. samsung released the first official hands on video of S5. couple of things i noticed is that a fancy camera trick of adjusting focus after taking the picture. and there is an interesting way of boosting downloading speed by using LTE and wifi at the same time :O
maybe you guys know about it and i was living under the rock!
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/834911-first-official-hands-video-s5.html#post6479940

Upvote 0
Tmobile version has a locked bootloader, my guess is so will the metropcs one. you want unlocked buy international one. that is assuming you want root/roms.

if you buy a locked one dont expect anything.

I still don't understand the importance of a locked bootloader. It's like oh be sure to encrypt the bootloader after.putting our logo on it.

Upvote 0
Its to help fight against fraud. something pretty common on these forums.

people root and then want to use triangle away to cover it up, now with knox they want a way to root without tripping knox. there is probably 15 or so people who have bricked their metropcs cdma s3's and thats an already small number of users overall. i imagine there is even more who just return it to the metro store if its bootlooping etc and claim they woke up and it was like that. each time that happens there is another 500 dollar phone they cant sell because its now in that persons hands.

the issue was never rooting or flashing roms, it has been and always will be people trying to scam the system. whatever the reasons that are claimed in the end it comes down to if you root you void your warranty, thats teh end of it all. it has become such a big neough issue that samsung spent thousands of dollars making their bootloaders extremely secure. hell most web pages use 128-256 bit for "secure" transmission, samsungs bootloaders on the s4 use 2048 bit. if everyone on this forum dedicated their computers to trying to hash out a brute force method it wouldnt happen in a time fast enough for the phone to even be an option for anyone anymore.

im sure in time root will come, just dont expect root or recovery quickly, and dont ever expect to get aosp/cm/etc, best case scenario is someone develops some new exploit that bypasses, its not going to unlock.

Reactions: mrpnut
Upvote 0
The s3 is a great device a truly great device darn near perfect when it came out...I wanted it but it was so out of reach nowadays using it makes me feel inadequate like using an iPhone makes me feel...how do I to get settings? Simple stuff like that my current phone the Xperia TL it's skin is akin to stock Android but some things should be more like stock. When I pull down the notification area of a Samsung phone Its like a Web browser with too many toolbars,it's bad to look at and silly to navigate even my TL is bad
se9uzuje.jpg
yes it's on jellybean 4.3

Upvote 0
The excitement for the S5 is not so great. For the S3, there would be a post almost every 15 seconds, here on AF.

The s3 was new when it came out. Never saw an android phone quite like it. Its kinda like when the iphone 3gs then 4 came out people were like wow look at that. But now with the s3 then s4 excitment kinda died. Doesnt help samsung really adds nothing revolutionary to each new galaxy its just minor hardware upgrades with a few new gimmicks. The buzz wore off. Same with apple.

Reactions: kb0sdq and DirtyDee
Upvote 0
As an S4 owner and a person that considers the visual experience as my top priority, I was disappointed to see that the S5 remained with a 1920x1080 resolution and didn't offer an QHD phone. But along with the massive amounts of QHD displays Samsung would have had to make for the S5 and the lack of the Snapdragon 805, I understand why Samsung couldn't do it, but I have no desire to buy the S5. I will be stopping by a Best Buy tomorrow to try it out, but it doesn't offer the resolution increase that the S3 to S4 offered.

I'm far more exited about the Note 4. Once I tried the Note 3, I was upset with my S4 purchase. If the Note 4 has a QHD display and the Snapdragon 805, I don't see why not, it will surely be worth skipping the S5 for it.

For those that have an S3, the S5 is a great upgrade over it. For those that have an S4, it's a decent upgrade, but the S5 barely feels like an upgrade from the flagship phones released on the second half of 2013 like the Note 3 or G2.

Upvote 0
As an S4 owner and a person that considers the visual experience as my top priority, I was disappointed to see that the S5 remained with a 1920x1080 resolution and didn't offer an QHD phone. But along with the massive amounts of QHD displays Samsung would have had to make for the S5 and the lack of the Snapdragon 805

You already can't see the individual pixels with the naked eye what's the point of upping the resolution even more?

Upvote 0
You already can't see the individual pixels with the naked eye what's the point of upping the resolution even more?
Because, for me, it's not about seeing the each individual pixels or not, but the greater clarity and sharpness provided in the screen with a higher resolution.

For example. Play a 1080p video, not youtube, on a Moto X and on a HTC One. Now between the 720p screen of the Moto X and the 1080p screen of the HTC One, you won't be able to pick out each individual pixel on either phone, but regardless of that, the HTC One will provide a sharper image.

ppi count isn't a method I really like to go buy, because it's ever changing for the resolution based on the screen size. It's simpler and more unified to go buy the resolution of the screen and the content. Now, regardless that I can't see the individual pixel on the Moto X or my S4, the 1080p screen on my S4 provides a much sharper and detailed image than the Moto X.

Same thing with a QHD screen. With the UI optimized for 2560x1440, the UI alone on a QHD phone will provide a sharper image than my current S4. Plus, with these phones now having an option of recording in 4k, it's something you can take more advantage of. Example, lets say the Note 4 ends up having a QHD screen. Record a 4K video on a Note 3 and play it back to back on a Note 3 and on a QHD Note 4. Regardless that you can't see each individual pixel, the QHD display with offer more visual detail over the 1080p display of the Note 3, with that same 4K video.

I'm a bit of a video quality junkie lol, so I probably notice more than the average customer. I personally can't stand the low bitrate quality of 1080p streamed content, which is why i always choose the Blu-ray version of a movie or show. So a QHD display will be something I will really enjoy.

Upvote 0
Because, for me, it's not about seeing the each individual pixels or not, but the greater clarity and sharpness provided in the screen with a higher resolution.

For example. Play a 1080p video, not youtube, on a Moto X and on a HTC One. Now between the 720p screen of the Moto X and the 1080p screen of the HTC One, you won't be able to pick out each individual pixel on either phone, but regardless of that, the HTC One will provide a sharper image.

ppi count isn't a method I really like to go buy, because it's ever changing for the resolution based on the screen size. It's simpler and more unified to go buy the resolution of the screen and the content. Now, regardless that I can't see the individual pixel on the Moto X or my S4, the 1080p screen on my S4 provides a much sharper and detailed image than the Moto X.

Same thing with a QHD screen. With the UI optimized for 2560x1440, the UI alone on a QHD phone will provide a sharper image than my current S4. Plus, with these phones now having an option of recording in 4k, it's something you can take more advantage of. Example, lets say the Note 4 ends up having a QHD screen. Record a 4K video on a Note 3 and play it back to back on a Note 3 and on a QHD Note 4. Regardless that you can't see each individual pixel, the QHD display with offer more visual detail over the 1080p display of the Note 3, with that same 4K video.

I'm a bit of a video quality junkie lol, so I probably notice more than the average customer. I personally can't stand the low bitrate quality of 1080p streamed content, which is why i always choose the Blu-ray version of a movie or show. So a QHD display will be something I will really enjoy.

When your talking about a 5 inch display though personally i feel qhd is overkill. The majority of people cannot tell the difference when looking at a 720p display and a 1080p display. Only when they are told one is 720 and the other is 1080 do they "notice" the difference. Most people suffer from a pure placebo effect in that regard. Tech display buffs such as yourself may be able to notice the difference as your eyes are trained to see it. But the majority of customers while they will say look how good my screen looks will have no clue why besides that samsung blasted qhd! On the box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones