• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [GUIDE][EASY] How to Setup Link2SD

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so I'll post it here since this is one of my threads...

You guys can now unbrick/factory restore with 12b kdz since towelroot works on it. You no longer need 10i kdz. This saves the trouble of having to upgrade from 10i to 12b.

I updated the root and recovery guide and also the unbrick/factory restore guide on my website for those that always drop by...

Unbrick - Factory Restore

Root and CWM Recovery - Full towelroot details

2 people on this forum have confirmed towelroot to work on 12b.

Upvote 0
I spent some time at this forum: [GUIDE] [FAT32] [EXT2] [2.3+] How to Partition your Android MicroSD Card - Page 11 - xda-developers. It may just be that when using Link2SDPlus, configured to use an EXT partition, it allows you to link apps, but NOT MOVE THEM to external SD?

Umm yeah I can't answer your questions anymore lol. Just do whatever you want/think.

I spent some time at this forum: [GUIDE] [FAT32] [EXT2] [2.3+] How to Partition your Android MicroSD Card - Page 11 - xda-developers. It may just be that when using Link2SDPlus, configured to use an EXT partition, it allows you to link apps, but NOT MOVE THEM to external SD?

Like I've told you before, you don't need to ask the same question multiple times or ask in multiple threads. Once is enough... If you don't get an answer it's because noone has one for you or you're just being ignored.

Do whatever they told you to do on XDA or find another guide that better suits you.

============ Edit ==============

This is why I sometimes seem annoyed with your questions/issues cause aside from having so many the answer is usually right in the tutorial/guide/instructions and you still miss it.

I just wasted time watching the video to try and figure out wtf you're missing. Surely enough if you skip to 11:08 in the video he clearly says not to click on "Move to SD card", but instead to click on "Create link".

And yes linking the apps and data is all you need and you'll be able to install multiple GBs of apps. Here's a quote I grabbed from another site in which he's using the same link2sd method to far exceed the internal limit...

I have several large (1Gb+) games installed on my phone and do not have any issues installing more. Keep in mind that Link2SD does NOT move internal data by default. You will need to purchase Link2SD for that capability. Also keep in mind that anytime you install a new app, you will have to go back into Link2SD and link the new app to the SD card!

Reactions: TheEmpathicEar
Upvote 0
[The truth is no matter how much you study - shit happens]
I read through this: FAQ - Link2SD, and tried this function: "Integrate update into system". Needless to say, it did not work as advertised. I used it on "Youtube" and "Voice Search" and these apps disappeared from the app drawer after rebooting. They also vanished from Link2SD after rebooting which is even weirder. Google Play [Android app] does not even give an option to Install/Update/Open for these any more. And, on the PC side, using a browser with Google Play loaded, after clicking on "Installed" both "Choose a device" and "Install" buttons are greyed out.

[Just a cautionary tale for those considering trying this...]

Upvote 0
[The truth is no matter how much you study - shit happens]
I read through this: FAQ - Link2SD, and tried this function: "Integrate update into system". Needless to say, it did not work as advertised. I used it on "Youtube" and "Voice Search" and these apps disappeared from the app drawer after rebooting. They also vanished from Link2SD after rebooting which is even weirder. Google Play [Android app] does not even give an option to Install/Update/Open for these any more. And, on the PC side, using a browser with Google Play loaded, after clicking on "Installed" both "Choose a device" and "Install" buttons are greyed out.

[Just a cautionary tale for those considering trying this...]

You don't need to link system apps. The system partition has it's own space seperate from the internal memory. You only need to link the apps that you install yourself (user apps) which are the ones that take up internal memory. Forget about youtube, voice search, and playstore or any other system apps. There's maybe 5 system apps that will update through playstore and their updates will take up a little internal space, but that's negligable.

Upvote 0
Just for the record, I recently rooted with towelroot and, following Game Theory's instructions, got Link2SD (free version right now) working fine and have about 700MB of internal space free.
I moved pretty much everything to the SD card -- Maps, Play Store, Google Search -- and everything thus far has worked. I also have a Class 10 SD card so while there's a small lag, it's negligible.
I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to all this Android stuff either, but if you take the time to watch the videos and follow the steps, I'm sure it'll work out.
Just an FYI, before removing apps, I recommend freezing them in Link2SD first. I was planning to take out LGEIMEbin.apk. Then, to my surprise, when I tried to enter any text, guess what wouldn't work?
Also be sure to install the Clockworkmod recovery from Game Theory's site -- and use it! I flashed Freedom Kernel and while it doesn't appear TRIM is working, everything else seems to be fine.
Thanks again Game Theory for all your time, expertise and effort!

Upvote 0
Just for the record, I recently rooted with towelroot and, following Game Theory's instructions, got Link2SD (free version right now) working fine and have about 700MB of internal space free.
I moved pretty much everything to the SD card -- Maps, Play Store, Google Search -- and everything thus far has worked. I also have a Class 10 SD card so while there's a small lag, it's negligible.
I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to all this Android stuff either, but if you take the time to watch the videos and follow the steps, I'm sure it'll work out.
Just an FYI, before removing apps, I recommend freezing them in Link2SD first. I was planning to take out LGEIMEbin.apk. Then, to my surprise, when I tried to enter any text, guess what wouldn't work?
Also be sure to install the Clockworkmod recovery from Game Theory's site -- and use it! I flashed Freedom Kernel and while it doesn't appear TRIM is working, everything else seems to be fine.
Thanks again Game Theory for all your time, expertise and effort!

No problem, thank you. ;)

To remove the stock keyboard first install the one you like from play store then go to phone "settings" then "language & input" and set it as the default then you can remove the stock one. I removed the stock one on my phone and use google keyboard with no problem.

TRIM works behind the scenes and is not something you'll see. It's a long technical explanation, but in short it simply marks memory blocks as ready to be written to beforehand to eliminate the lag of doing it on demand. In the kernel post you'll find more in depth tech info on that.

Upvote 0
Ok I ran into a bit of a problem. I installed Link2SD Pro, followed the tutorial. When I try to link any apps with internal data I get "Failure: Link2SD package invalid" error message.

How do I remedy this issue? 1st partition is Fat32 and 2nd partition is Ext4 (Made in MiniTool Partition Home Edition). I want to be able to link internal data to SD Card (For apps that support this option) as well if possible? It may not be, but if there is please link to a solution. Thank you in advance.

Phone specs below:

LG Optimus F6 Metro PCS 12b Rooted (Towelroot)
Xperion Rom (GameTheory)
Freedom Kernel (GameTheory)
Clockwork Mod Recovery (Already have viable backups just in case)
Kingston MicroSD Card 16 GB

Edit: Never mind second time I got a bootloop on Xperion Rom. so i'll have to delete everything anyways.

Upvote 0
Ok I ran into a bit of a problem. I installed Link2SD Pro, followed the tutorial. When I try to link any apps with internal data I get "Failure: Link2SD package invalid" error message.

How do I remedy this issue? 1st partition is Fat32 and 2nd partition is Ext4 (Made in MiniTool Partition Home Edition). I want to be able to link internal data to SD Card (For apps that support this option) as well if possible? It may not be, but if there is please link to a solution. Thank you in advance.

Phone specs below:

LG Optimus F6 Metro PCS 12b Rooted (Towelroot)
Xperion Rom (GameTheory)
Freedom Kernel (GameTheory)
Clockwork Mod Recovery (Already have viable backups just in case)
Kingston MicroSD Card 16 GB

You might have to reinstall Link2SD and Link2SD Plus from the Play Store?

Upvote 0
I'll try that as soon as I am done restoring my stock rom. I love the Xperion Rom but keep getting stuck in a bootloop, after restarting my phone (Obvious issue on my end). As far as my issue with Link2SD, I will redo the entire process and then write an update of my progress. Thanks.

Update 1: Completely bricked my phone. Using KDZ_FW_UPD.exe to unbrick and unroot my phone. Couldn't even restore and mount the cwm backups I did.

Update 2: Back to stock rom. I will redo everything in the link2SD tutorial. First time I ever hard bricked a phone (To the point where I needed official recovery). Not bad.

Update 3: Rooted my phone again and restored important settings through Titanium Backup. Will try Link2SD again now.

Update 4: Just got a boot loop on official stock rom. The culprit is something done within Titanium Backup when I restore apps and system data from a previous backup. Damn....

Update 5: Finally got Link2SD working.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the video guide, it looks good. I didn't need it since I'm already familiar with Link2SD (ever since my Optimus V days), but it will be helpful for first time Link2SD users.

A few things you might consider adding to the video (or an additional video) is to show the Link2SD "Storage Info" screen to show the space used/free on the ext4 partition (and other partitions), and also to show some of the items in the Link2SD "More" section. And perhaps briefly show how to tell system apps from apps that are taking up space in the Data partition.

Upvote 0
I followed the steps in the video and everything went good i can movee apps to sd and everything, but when i go to download injustice which is 0.96GB a error comes up and says "there is insufficient space on external storage" and i have 5gb free any ideas?

No idea. Hopefully someone else can chime in. I don't have my phone setup to use external sd at the moment.

Upvote 0
I was getting that storage error after using link2sd, it was driving me crazy. after realizing I used one of the rom toolbox items [apps2sd] to try to download apps directly to sd card I changed it to internal sd, choices are auto internal or external. I have downloaded several apps since then with no problems.
so apparently to use link2sd you have to install to internal and then link. otherwise you will get insufficient storage errors, I was getting them with 20 gb free.
I just read in this thread about storage info in link2sd. everything looks good but it says I have 12% system free. is this the ram?
in titanium backup it says I have 160 mb free if 1.27 gb in system rom I know internal storage is 1.27 gb. is this going to be and issue?
thanks.

Upvote 0
I posted this in another section but figured I should post it here as well.
I used this links to sd and then my phone updated itself from a custom rom with cwm as a recovery. Now my phone is stuck in cwm loop itried the unbrick/unroot/factory reset and it still goes back to cmw recovery screen, below is my log from kdz updater.

[R&D Test Tools Log File]

13:55:19 : Launching SW update
13:55:19 : Unpacking KDZ
13:58:48 : KDZ file extraced
14:01:17 : Files were extracted.
14:01:17 : LGMobileDL Load.
14:01:17 : Port = -1
14:01:17 : Connecting to phone
14:01:31 : Check Phone mode = 2
14:01:31 : Phone type check.......
14:01:33 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
14:01:33 : _SetAuthMark Fail
14:01:33 : _SetAuthMark Ok : wAuthMark(65535)
14:01:33 : LoadLibrary Error(126)
14:01:35 : ===FINISHED===

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones