• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MetroPCS..hello..hello...goodbye

z4root for the masses. :D

New to the place so forgive me but, I've got the file (thanks by the ways its off the andriod market) and have unzipped it but how do I get the phone to recognize it? Tried unpacking with the phone first but that didn't work so I downloaded to my laptop, unzipped then transferred to SD but it still doesn't show up in my apps list?? Help? what am I missing here?:thinking:

Upvote 0
Make sure you power off and power on your phone. The same thing was happening to me.

Tried that...the only other thing I can think of is that super user add on, it keeps saying that there an update that won't ' automatically' install and that I need to reboot into recovery and flash in a new binary something or other... Frustration...

Upvote 0
anyone got a droid sound clip to put in there?

I'm thinking about replacing mine with a droid sound and then see if I can put a droid boot animation instead of the metro one.

OK, so I managed to replace the default android animation with a custom one by simply downloading the custom animation, renaming it to bootanimation.zip and placing it into the /system/media directory on the phone. I didnt see any bootanimation.zip file to backup/replace so I just copied the custom one over and rebooted.

Now to replace the metroPCS boot image.

Here is the custom animation I used.
http://www.vopinc.com/files/Android/GDbootanimation.zip
GDboot.gif

nice, works with the optimus s to.

Upvote 0
Here's my boot animation. Sorry about the quality (laptop webcam is WEAK!)

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/evVt9zvoM70?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/evVt9zvoM70?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Upvote 0
i attempted to download this z4root zip and my kaspersky anti virus said "NO WAY!!" something hidden in there Andyyo70? careful people.

i downloaded the z4 root from here and there was no problems after all. my kaspersky anti virus kept auto deleting files from it making it useless for me but after 5 or 6 tries it didnt catch the exploit and let me get it.. i used it on my optimus m and it worked like a charm. now time for some no more hello...hello...hello.. and a new splash.. thanks for the great stuff :).. any news on getting rid of the metro pcs splash yet? i also used this info to change that annoying camera snap sound in "media/audio/ui" awesome!

Upvote 0
The trick of changing the carrier splash is in the boot loader(spl). The spl has to be unlocked to be able to flash the splash.img to the phone. Is this spl unlocked after the rooting method? If you do not know how to check, reboot your phone holding down the camera(if it has one) or the back button then turn on your phone. It should bring you to the bootloader menu. On top, toward the right, S-on or S-off will tell you if security is on or off.

Let me know if it's on or off... So I can explain the process of changing this splash.

Upvote 0
The trick of changing the carrier splash is in the boot loader(spl). The spl has to be unlocked to be able to flash the splash.img to the phone. Is this spl unlocked after the rooting method? If you do not know how to check, reboot your phone holding down the camera(if it has one) or the back button then turn on your phone. It should bring you to the bootloader menu. On top, toward the right, S-on or S-off will tell you if security is on or off.

Let me know if it's on or off... So I can explain the process of changing this splash.
Do you have experience with The Optimus or ThunderC board?? Both of the methods for entering bootloader menu are unsuccessful. Do you have to have a recovery console installed? if so, there is not currently one in existence for our phone.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Do you have experience with The Optimus or ThunderC board?? Both of the methods for entering bootloader menu are unsuccessful. Do you have to have a recovery console installed? if so, there is not currently one in existence for our phone.

Reading is the key to understanding. I have been playing with Android since 2008. What is new to you guys is old to me. The only things that change are the way the manufacture uses this OS. Every Android OS has a recovery and bootloader(spl) partition. Since it is Open Sourced, they(metro) have the right to edit it. The same rights they have to edit the source are granted to us as well under the same license! Since I do not have the physical phone, I hold back on releasing certain modifications I have already completed.
I am working with a few others on this forum to bring you the mods as soon as possible...

When new modification are released. It will be by a forum member so I do not receive full credit for everybodys work, testing and dedication. Thank us as a team, not an individual...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones