• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MetroPCS..hello..hello...goodbye

Where is the bootlogo binary? I thought it would be in /system/bin, but it is not there.
It is inside the boot.img in /sbin, but look below...

Say good bye to : hello hello hello

mpcs_power_on_07.rle-0.png

mpcs_power_on_07.rle converted to png...

Coming Soon...

(work in progress)
Disable your Wireless Provider's Splash and Sounds

NOTE:To use this tweek you must
have the Modified recovery found here.

The idea of this edit comes from the people that don't want to hear or see their Wireless Carrier's Splash introduction.

CD-Rom2_-100x100.jpg

WARNING:This is a boot.img edit meaning you will have to replace the boot.img on your phone. Please understand the risk in modifying this partition.

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-m/227036-new-lg-optimus-m-ms690-root-achieved.html

its the first post.

Basically go to Android Market... download and install z4root by RyanZA(not the chinese one)

run it and root your phone(I perm. rooted mine).

Once rooted buy Root Explorer(you can find if elsewhere if you are smart for free).

Run Root Explorer, make sure you "allow" it superuser permissions.

Press Mount R/W button at the top

Navigate to /system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3, press and hold the file then rename it to PowerO.mp3 or something else.

Exit, reboot to test.
To richiedaze,
I've searched for z4root on market of my lg optimus m fone
Search came bak wit no searches
Ummmmmmm
Wonder why?

Upvote 0
Weird, I attempted to try to convert the mpcs_power_on_07.rle to a jpg or any other picture format; didn't work. Was trying to see if you can simply convert a jpg/png or whatever into an RLE file, and just rename it to mpcs_power_on_07.rle. Can't seem to find any programs though, at least free ones lol. I'm sure photoshop/AUTOcad maybe even 3ds max could do this. Just dont' got any copies on hand. The biggest question is if this would work period. Otherwise the only way is to use the modified recovery. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
to Andyo70
I clicked on z4root file and i tried to open it but i got
Windows cannot open this file...
What do you want to do?
What do i need to do to open it?
Im newbie to Android fones
& wen i open it wat will be my next step do i usb my fone and i need proper steps on doing tis
Im a newbie at Rootin and wat not

well, you aren't trying to root your Windows PC -- you are trying to root your Linux-based phone. So, Windows won't be able to open the file.

You just want to transfer it to your phone and be able to find it.

either USB cable transfer or email it to an account you have on the phone (like Gmail).

Reactions: plumpy
Upvote 0
Unfortunately you will have to wait. At least for changing the Metro splash screen which can only be done with custom firmware that has not be release yet.

You can however get rid of the "hello, hello, hello" sound by choosing a sound clip in mp3 format, renaming it to PowerOm.mp3 and then placing it in the /system/sounds/poweron/ folder thus overwriting the "hello, hello, hello".
Andyo70
do u knw how to replace Metropcs banner on locked screen?
I wanna replace it wit my name

Upvote 0
i wasnt tryna be sarcastic...
im new to Android
I wanna Root my fone myself
Which i pray i dont mess up my fone
But i truly want to get rid of bloatware like ya call it
Im pc savy but tis is a whole new world to me
U knw d sayin u learn sumthin new everyday

Google removed it because it uses a unpatched security hole to gain access to your phone. Which I agree, because you don't want a disguised apk stealing all your personal data. Newer roms have been already patched.

This is why we use a modified su binary and super permissions apk which asks the user for there permission to continue to with the process (like in windows vista).
If you give permission, you are responsible for the outcome!

Upvote 0
Andyo70
do u knw how to replace Metropcs banner on locked screen?
I wanna replace it wit my name

:thinking:

MetroPCS banner? What do you have some sort of screensaver? When my screen is locked, it's just a black screen...

I think he means the unlock screen. And, to my knowledge, there is no way to change or delete that as of yet. I use a widget locker so I don't really see it.

I still don't know what he's talking about. I've never seen a MetroPCS "banner" on the unlock screen...

While I use a pattern lock, my wife's Optimus is simple unlock screen. In the upper right hand corner in small letters is MetroPCS. But other than that, there's no banner. :thinking:

011811191404.jpg

sorry for the blurry image.

Upvote 0
sorry new to forums and didnt ay it rite n didnt knw wat it was called now i knw its not a banner but tis image above me is wat im talkin about.
I wanted to replace metropcs to my name or something customizable lol

The wireless carrier name can be change on most android phones by a simple edit of an xml. I would have to search for it first before it could be edited...

Upvote 0
HEY i ADDED ASTRO FILE MANAGER BUT I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO MOVE MY CUSTOM SOUND INTO THE SPOT THE ORIGINAL STARTUP HELLO etc USED TO BE HOW TO DO THIS ANYONE KNOW?? I HAVE SOUNDS ON MY SD CARD BUT CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME MOVE THEM ...HELP!!

MacZDroid
In astro file manager find the file you want, in my case I created a folder named music. Go in the folder of whatever sound you would want to use, long hold on the sound file you would like to use. Click edit when the sub menu pops up and then the copy button. Then go into astro system/sounds/poweron/ and paste the sound file you just copied. You have to rename the old poweron.mp3 file (I renamed it oldpoweron.mp3.) and rename your new sound poweron.mp3, restart and see if you got your sound.

Note: I would recommend not using a song. Because you cannot stop it till the whole song is through. I ran into that problem not thinking about it.

Sorry for the delayed response havent been on in a while. Hopefully someone already gave you some help.

-Corey

Reactions: Rufas022
Upvote 0
So after a long night of recovering from deleting the browser.apk and odx files, I have finished setting up my phone again except for one thing. The boot animation is no longer working. I know the first time, I had to play with it, and move the bootanimation.zip file around before it seemed to be "recognized" since I was putting it in either data/local/ or /system/media every time. After moving it back and forth this time its still just a black screen. I have no idea what I did the first time to get it to take but I cant seem to repeat that. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones