• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] [KERNERL] CM11/KK with ov5693 camera support

hroark13

Android Expert
Recognized Developer
Jul 15, 2011
Hi all

mrapitis was kind enough to lend and ship me his F6 which has the OV5693 camera, so thank you mrapitis, and every one else that has a F6 with OV5693 and uses this fix should thank him too

I worked on this for the last 20 hours, it was not easy, but I did it.

I made a new kernel, and found all the binaries needed for the camera

Kernel is same as the other one, just with added support of OV5693

THERE ARE STILL ISSUES WITH THIS
TORCH / FLASH DOES NOT WORK
AND FRONT CAMERA LOOK BLUE
SO YOU MAY NOT WANT TO USE THIS

The 2 zip files contain the kernel and binary files need to support OV5693

CM11
https://www.mediafire.com/?b1koplaffegq06h

KK
https://www.mediafire.com/?88jvg6l0o6a029h

Source Code for Kernel
https://github.com/hroark13/android_kernel_lge_f6x

If I have helped you, and you like my work, please click on the Thanks Button and give my thread a rating by clicking on the stars above.

.hK

Last edited:
I just installed kk mini and applied the kk fix... I was able to take one pic then the cam locked up followed by the phone locking up. after rebooting I went back to the cam and when I try switching from back cam to front it locks up again.

Thanks you so much for working on this and thank you as well mrapitis volunteering your f6.

Upvote 0
I just installed kk mini and applied the kk fix... I was able to take one pic then the cam locked up followed by the phone locking up. after rebooting I went back to the cam and when I try switching from back cam to front it locks up again.

Thanks you so much for working on this and thank you as well mrapitis volunteering your f6.

I think the freezing has something to do with the focus mode

Upvote 0
here is the gist of the current problem

In this fix I am using the camera binaries from v500 20d (G-TAB 8.3) but that tablet does not have a flash/torch so the torch does not work on our phone when we use them, I think it is in the HAL (camera.msm8960.so)

I cant use the camera.msm8960.so from d505 because it does not have a config for ov5693

I cant use the camera.msm8960.so from ms500 JB because it requires vector symbols, and when I enable that in CM, it causes constant crashing. and the camera does not work anyway,and does not work with KK port

I am wondering if we can somehow add a sysfs interface for the torch in the kernel

or maybe we can make a wrapper that adds the flash / torch interface

also some thing is causing the front camera to look blue

you could actually help with these issues because the issue happens on the phone whether it has the ov5693 or not

most people could just use the 505 20a binaries and it would be OK, I guess, and the people with ov5693 will have a patch zip to enable their camera, just with no torch, but that is a pretty lame way to do it

If anyone knows of another LGE phone that uses the OV5693 and IMX119 cameras, has Kit Kat and has a Qualcom MSM processor, please let me know

I do not want to hear about phones that do not meet the above specs, I am aware of the Asus Nexus phone (FLO) that has OV5693, I can not use its pre-built binaries, but may be able to use the HAL source code some how

so bottom line is

we need a pre-built LGE KK camera.msm8960.so (HAL) that supports flash/torch and OV5693 and IMX119

or

we need to make source code for a camera.msm8960.so (HAL) that supports flash/torch and OV5693 and IMX119 which is not so easy to do

or

we need to make a camera wrapper source code that will that will work with the v500 20d (G-PAD 8.3) camera.msm8960.so (HAL) that will add flash / torch function. This is hard to do as well. but easier than making the HAL source code

or

we need to add a sysfs interface for torch / flash in the kernel source code. This is probably possible but I do not know how to do it. This option would help with AOSP ROMS. but I am not sure if it would help with the KK stock based roms

yay

Upvote 0
I tested cm11 with your fix. Back camera worked fine. Did not test front camera. Struggled to power on from sleep intermittently and eventually (20 min of use) kernel crashed (black screen, white text). Can reproduce if necessary.

Installed kitkat and it's finally usable for me. Back camera works and front camera is slightly distorted and bluish. Everything else looks good.

Thanks for all your hard work

Upvote 0
My back camera didn't work with any of the kk roms so does that mean I have the OV5693 camera? If not how do I figure what cam I have?

Install kk kernel, then you can use KitKat MINI 4.4.2 BETA VD_3B rom. but no LED lighe and buggy front camera.
I don't know why one cellphone has 2 kinds of camera. it sucks.
I think the best rom for me and you is Xperion. It's without any bug.
Today after trying all kitkats, now i'm back to Xperion.

Upvote 0
Does this fix the cam with carbonrom or only cm11 and kk 4.4.2?

After seeing someone installed hroark13 camera fix kernel on Caron ROM and worked okay.. I also tried it.

It seems like all features working okay so far; boots okay, rear camera works okay etc etc

For your information I've installed ZIPs in this order and made some changes immediately as below.

1. Installed Carbon Rom from here
http://androidforums.com/6779689-post1.html

2. Installed CM 11 'Small' Gapps from here
Google Apps - CyanogenMod

3. Installed hroark13's Cam Fix CM11 Kernel from here
http://androidforums.com/6777216-post1.html

4. Restart System

5. After restart, setting -> mobile network -> Access Point Name -> Metro PCS

6. Setting -> Carbon Fiber -> Interface -> CRT Animation = Don't Show

7. Stock CM camera is somewhat unstable with Cam Fix CM11 Kernel, I tried Google Camera from Playstore and it worked much better than the stock one. Try different camera app and find your own one.

If you like Carbon ROM's Look & Feel and must have Rear Camera feature working, you may try it.

** Note that I installed CM11 Cam fix kernel, not the KK Cam Fix one. KK Cam Fix Kernel may or may not work with Carbon ROM.

** Not all phones are same so result may vary. You may try it at your own risk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones