• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS] No Data Connection Over USB "Device Descriptor Request Failed"

I am having some serious issues getting my PC (HP G60) running Windows 8.1 Pro to recognize my LG F6 (MS500) running software version MS50010i. The phone is rooted, though I am using the same ROM that was pre-installed. I have tried several USB cables, the are not charge only cables. The cables have worked in the past for other devices. I have tried all 3 USB ports on my computer. I have downloaded the drivers for the F6 directly from LG and installed them. I have also installed the Windows transfer protocol package for MTP just in case. I have tried connecting with debugging off and on. I have tried switching to MTP, PTP, LG Software, and back. The phone is not set to charge only. I don't have another computer right now to try connecting to the phone. When I do connect the USB to the phone and PC, the Device Manager in Windows reports the phone as an 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)' I have tried to Disable and Enable this USB listing in Device Manager as well as automatically and manually update the driver through Device Manager.

This phone has connected to this computer using this USB cable before. Since that time I did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 (was using 8 before, both Pro), and updated the phone's software. Because of this I don't think the hardware on either end is the issue.

I am trying to connect the phone so I can use adb to switch downloading to the external SD card because the F6 only has 1.27GB of usable onboard storage. This is a far cry from the advertised 4GB onboard storage. I can connect over Wi-Fi for file transfer purposes, but that doesn't help for connecting to adb.

Is there something simple I am missing, or could this be a hardware issue with the phone after all? I will greatly appreciate any assistance in this matter!

Hi CyborgGold, Welcome to Android Forums. :)

Sorry, didn't see the post the first time. A couple of things ... for your PC to see the internal storage of your phone in MTP mode, it shouldn't need device drivers. I have a Nexus 4 connected to a Windows 8.1 laptop that doesn't see the device, but reads the files just fine.

For you to be able to connect using adb, you will need the USB drivers installed and debugging mode enabled on the device. Other than the obvious other requirements of having a PC, a phone and a cable, that should be it. Since my N4 was made be LG, I would think the L6 should work as well. You might want to try a Universal USB driver (remove all other LG drivers first). Check this out ... https://plus.google.com/103583939320326217147/posts/BQ5iYJEaaEH

I'd also note that debugging mode must be enabled when you attempt to install the driver and that some PC's with USB 3.0 ports fail when installing the drivers, but if the drivers are installed when connected to a USB 2.0 port, then the USB 3.0 connection works. The USB 3.0 port on my Laptop (Asus Zenbook) worked just fine for the install. :dontknow:

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
What I would do if this were the case, either try a different PC, just to see if the phone is detected (to rule out the phone hardware) or make a live USB bootable flash drive with Linux (Any of the major distro's should work) and boot your PC using that. Linux doesn't need drivers to connect, so it should pop right up. If it doesn't, then you may be looking at a broke USB connector on the phone.

Upvote 0
Looks like the phone is the issue. I had a friend bring over a laptop and his laptop didn't see my phone either. His phone did show up on my system too, although it's an HTC not an lg, I'm pretty certain the problem lies with my phone. I guess tonight I'll back everything up and do a reset to see if that helps anything. If not I suspect the issue is hardware in which case I'm going to be pissed, because this phone isn't even a year old yet and there's not a scratch on it.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Looks like the phone is the issue. I had a friend bring over a laptop and his laptop didn't see my phone either. His phone did show up on my system too, although it's an HTC not an lg, I'm pretty certain the problem lies with my phone. I guess tonight I'll back everything up and do a reset to see if that helps anything. If not I suspect the issue is hardware in which case I'm going to be pissed, because this phone isn't even a year old yet and there's not a scratch on it.

Thanks!

I don't know that a reset will change anything, but you certainly can try. With the phone being less than a year old, you should be able to get it fixed under warranty. If it is the charging port/USB connector, the part is only $10.

Amazon.com: ePartSolution-LG Optimus F6 D500 Charger Charging Port Flex Cable Dock Connector USB Port Repair Part USA Seller: Cell Phones & Accessories

Upvote 0
Well, I rooted the phone, so warranty is out, lol. I was thinking the reset might help because there may be an app on there that is being a jerk. I've seen apps do some crazy things with previous phones, and its a free fix if it works. Thanks again for your assistance, I will post again with results of the reset once I complete it just in case someone else has this issue later.

Upvote 0
That sure created an interesting new problem... after the reset I am stuck in a loop of the initial setup wizard failing. Now I have no phone at all.

After booting, I get the message 'LGSetupWizard has stopped' with only one option 'OK' I click 'OK' and a second later it pops up again, not allowing me to progress through setup on the device.

I tried booting holding power and vol down, but that just prompts me to do a hard reset again.

Any ideas on this one?

Upvote 0
Okay, since your rooted, which system apps or carrier installed apps did you remove? This has all the symptoms of a missing dependency. You are going to have to find the stock firmware and flash it to the phone.

I can't vouch for this site, but it might have what you need. MetroPCS LG Optimus F6 MS500 Software update: MS50010i

Upvote 0
Okay, since your rooted, which system apps or carrier installed apps did you remove? This has all the symptoms of a missing dependency. You are going to have to find the stock firmware and flash it to the phone.

I can't vouch for this site, but it might have what you need. MetroPCS LG Optimus F6 MS500 Software update: MS50010i

I rooted the phone so I could use root access required apps. I never disabled or removed any of the preinstalled apps from the phone. This might sound like something I should know having rooted the phone... but... how do I flash the firmware if i can't get past the phone setup wizard because it is failing?

Upvote 0
If it were a Samsung phone I could tell you how to do it blindfolded with one hand behind your back. Unfortunately, I don't have much expereince with LG, my N4 was the first LG phone i've owned and the Nexus Line doesn't always follow the manufacturer standard. Let me see if I can track down an LG expert for you.

Upvote 0
Not sure, but this may help you also.
Unbrick/Unroot/Factory Restore - Android Creations
The phone will go into download mode with that guide, so no need to be able to boot into the OS:)
That guide written by a dev that is a member here-- GameTheory:)

Edit: by the way, if you want, we can move this into the root forum for the F6 here.
Perhaps others there may have some advice;)
I think GameTheory lurks there too.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Not sure, but this may help you also.
Unbrick/Unroot/Factory Restore - Android Creations
The phone will go into download mode with that guide, so no need to be able to boot into the OS:)
That guide written by a dev that is a member here-- GameTheory:)

Edit: by the way, if you want, we can move this into the root forum for the F6 here.
Perhaps others there may have some advice;)
I think GameTheory lurks there too.

Yes, lets move the thread... I'll try that now, but it never hurts to have more options just in case. The original issue I was having isn't nearly as heartbreaking as this one, lol.

Upvote 0
If you're able to get into download mode then your device should be recoverable.

I did some googling and it seems that the "Device Descriptor Request Failed" error is something to do with windows 8.1. Before you take any extreme measures I suggest trying a different PC that has maybe win 7.

Someone did report that it worked on win 8, but when they upgraded to win 8.1 they started getting the same error as you.

Here's my search results...
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dev...57j69i60l3&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Good luck bro ;)

Upvote 0
I have the LG drivers installed, and when I connect the phone Window's Device manager shows the USB connection as 'Device Descriptor Request Failed' just as it did before. This tells me the phone isn't making a proper connection, which means it must be hardware issue since the OS isnt even loading now.

As GameTheory mentioned, it should be recoverable. The LG drivers should be recognizing your device in download/emergency mode. Otherwise it would be counterproductive to have such a mode since most people who need it are in the same or similar boat as yourself.

I don't have time to research it at this moment but there may be updated drivers for this phone in the LG site, not sure. Also, are you using the usb cable that came with the phone? They can be picky sometimes. Try multiple usb ports and if it was a fresh driver install, try rebooting the PC while you still have the phone plugged into usb and in download mode. It may take a reboot to autorecognize the device.

Short of those quick ideas, the Win7 idea previously mentioned may be what it takes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones