• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS & T-Mobile merger detailed breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will not be "pushed" customers will be migrated over annual upgrades, those who do not upgrade will be given incentives to entice upgrading to T-Mobile handsets. The merger is not about consumer base only, MetroPCS has invested in LTE technology the way T-Mobile has not.

To an extent yes. But we will not be able to squeeze out those peak LTE on even our S3 handsets with out a good radio upgrade if T-Mobile chooses to support the MetroPCS S3's that way.

Who knows if Sprint will even play nice if this Metro and T-Mo merger is approved.

The MetroPCS LTE towers will not be shut down. They will be upgraded though. It's too expensive to shut down those towers for new ones when simply tweaking them is more efficient.

T-Mobile has said they'll be shutting of the metropcs LTE in areas which they overlap. Then moving those customers onto the newer T-Mobile LTE network. They'll be moving people of the CDMA network through a phone upgrade. But with LTE they simply stop broadcasting metropcs LTE signal then let you authenticate on T-Mobile LTE signal.

Peak is 73mbps with overhead already included so you could likely see in the 50's on a 10x10MHz network. Then much higher when the 20x20MHz network goes live speeds would be faster than all the other current 4G by double.

Sprint's a corporation that wants money. Dont think they would see metropcs's limited access CDMA network as a threat especially since it'll only have about 2 years of life left. Also since T-Mobile wont be letting new customers on it.

Where have you been? They have even said they're eventually gonna decommission about 90% of metro's cell sites.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile has said they'll be shutting of the metropcs LTE in areas which they overlap. Then moving those customers onto the newer T-Mobile LTE network. They'll be moving people of the CDMA network through a phone upgrade. But with LTE they simply stop broadcasting metropcs LTE signal then let you authenticate on T-Mobile LTE signal.

Peak is 73mbps with overhead already included so you could likely see in the 50's on a 10x10MHz network. Then much higher when the 20x20MHz network goes live speeds would be faster than all the other current 4G by double.

Sprint's a corporation that wants money. Dont think they would see metropcs's limited access CDMA network as a threat especially since it'll only have about 2 years of life left. Also since T-Mobile wont be letting new customers on it.

Where have you been? They have even said they're eventually gonna decommission about 90% of metro's cell sites.

Where did you hear this? In terms of tower over lapping, T-Mobile can only over lap a tower where MetroPCS LTE is already placed. However, MetroPCS beat all companies to the punch, they were to first to release LTE, and they had a plan to release a more deeper LTE signal similar to what T-Mobile just started doing this year. (T-Mobile's LTE JUST went live, Galaxy Note II's received an update to try it out in beta form. They can not cut the LTE broadcast because the push for getting towers out, takes time, MetroPCS already has that covered in densely, populated urban areas.

What you mention about T-Mobile's 20x20 Network is actually what T-Mobile wanted to do and finally did that off of MetroPCS' blueprint plans. Before this merger, DT was not thinking 20x20 LTE, they were thinking, "why are spending money on T-Mobile when we have a German install base to take care of? Let's sell! They pitched to Sprint that failed. AT&T, Denied. MetroPCS did not have the money to buy them but the contracts to lay out the LTE and they won some of that auctioned spectrum all while T-Mobile was looking for a buyer, so, Metro had the investments in the technology, T-Mobile had the cash flow and consumer to get Metro off the ground, a match made in heaven.

Sprint is currently working out a partial sell out of the company with a Japanese one, so again who knows how sprint is going to play this one especially when they will no longer have 100% say in how they use contracts and towers anymore. That is up in the air.

They will slowly power off CDMA towers until the last CDMA/Feature Phone customer is off. In what you state here, its true for the CDMA part, the LTE part is a different story.

I have been where the money is, not where the news is. I keep up with stock sites as I am invested on MetroPCS stock. I did not invest enough to make an earthquake, but there is enough for me to keep updated on the status of the merger with concern for where my money is going.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
Where did you hear this? In terms of tower over lapping, T-Mobile can only over lap a tower where MetroPCS LTE is already placed. However, MetroPCS beat all companies to the punch, they were to first to release LTE, and they had a plan to release a more deeper LTE signal similar to what T-Mobile just started doing this year. (T-Mobile's LTE JUST went live, Galaxy Note II's received an update to try it out in beta form. They can not cut the LTE broadcast because the push for getting towers out, takes time, MetroPCS already has that covered in densely, populated urban areas.

What you mention about T-Mobile's 20x20 Network is actually what T-Mobile wanted to do and finally did that off of MetroPCS' blueprint plans. Before this merger, DT was not thinking 20x20 LTE, they were thinking, "why are spending money on T-Mobile when we have a German install base to take care of? Let's sell! They pitched to Sprint that failed. AT&T, Denied. MetroPCS did not have the money to buy them but the contracts to lay out the LTE and they won some of that auctioned spectrum all while T-Mobile was looking for a buyer, so, Metro had the investments in the technology, T-Mobile had the cash flow and consumer to get Metro off the ground, a match made in heaven.

Sprint is currently working out a partial sell out of the company with a Japanese one, so again who knows how sprint is going to play this one especially when they will no longer have 100% say in how they use contracts and towers anymore. That is up in the air.

They will slowly power off CDMA towers until the last CDMA/Feature Phone customer is off. In what you state here, its true for the CDMA part, the LTE part is a different story.

I have been where the money is, not where the news is. I keep up with stock sites as I am invested on MetroPCS stock. I did not invest enough to make an earthquake, but there is enough for me to keep updated on the status of the merger with concern for where my money is going.

T-Mobile has been placing LTE on towers since about November of last year they also said they'll have 200 million covered with LTE by the end of the year, thats double the current MetroPCS LTE network. Thats double metro's current network so not worried about how long it'll take.
Dont think SoftBank will make that much of a difference on that front.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Fuzzy13 and mike28
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones