• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS & T-Mobile] [RECOVERY][MS659 & P659] TWRP 2.8.0.0

xclusive36

Android Expert
Jan 28, 2014
Maryland
www.litestep.com
1200x720xTWRP-Recovery.jpg.pagespeed.ic.f8LzYlYkTF.webp

Presenting TWRP 2.8.0.0 for the T-Mobile & Metro PCS LG Optimus F3

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2
Team Win Recovery Project 2.8, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It’s a fully touch driven user interface – no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Installation
  • Go to the PlayStore and Download 'Flashify (for root users)'.
  • Download and copy TWRP recovery to your Phone.
  • Open the Flashify app and select 'Recovery image'.
  • Select 'Choose a file' and browse to where you copied the image.
  • Select the recovery image 'twrp_bumped.img' and flash.

How to enter TWRP
Power on: Hold the 'Power button' & 'Volume Down' when you turn on your phone.

Download: twrp_bumped.img
https://s.basketbuild.com/devs/xclusive36/fx3/vm/stock

Thanks to:

gherkaul
AquaVolt
Warning:
Your flashing this at your own risk and I'm not responsible for your device.

Last edited:
Very pleased to have my favorite recovery finally available for our phone, but I do have one caveat. It's backup location is the internal memory, not the SD card, and there are no options to choose a different location. Not a dealbreaker, just something I noticed that I wanted to point out. Some users might be rather put off by that if they weren't aware.

Upvote 0
you cant unlock it btw. but thats ok. we have loki and bump to bypass the security
I'm a little confused on the whole locked bootloader and loki and bump thing. With loki and bump, is unlocking the bootloader now unnecessary or does it just allow a bit more freedom than a locked bootloader? Is having an unlocked bootloader still the best?

Upvote 0
There's a problem with TWRP, I hadn't had a reason to reboot into recovery with the button combo until now. I tested out my custom rom and when I was about to restore back to recovery, I rebooted back using the button combo since I didn't have any rebooting apps installed. Instead of rebooting into recovery, TWRP just wipes data and then reboot normally. So you actually cannot reboot into recovery using the button combo as it just does the wipe and then reboots normally. This is bad for bricks and bootloops as there's no way to enter recovery.

Upvote 0
So I picked up an old disconnected MetroPCS ms659 from a buddy of mine and I want to install Ubuntu on it.

Will the loki and bump hack allow that, since this bootloader is apparently locked down? Been wrestling with this thing for a month now, and it just won't take this other OS. I've soft bricked and restored it half a dozen times, even got it back from a fastboot mode, which despite taking fastboot commands, and fastboot mode being what Ubuntu asks for to install, would not take the other OS. I also did it kind of accidentally, so I don't even know if I can do it again on purpose.

Don't know if it makes any difference, but it's still SIM, or network locked, and Metro has basically told me I need to connect it to service for 3 months before they will unlock it.

Another buddy of mine has a pair of old Android phones I can muck with, but I'm wondering how locked down these branded SIM locked phones are going to be in general, and not sure if Ubuntu is worth dropping money on an unlocked phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones