• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MetroPCS & Wi-Fi Calling (T-Mobile iPhone)

I've been going back and forth with MetroPCS and T-Mobile regarding the recent addition of wireless calling via iOS 8. I have an iPhone 5c (T-Mobile) with a MetroPCS-provided T-Mobile SIM card. When I go to enable wifi calling, I receive the message "To allow Wi-Fi calls on this account, contact your carrier." I suspected this was due to lack of emergency address provisioning on my account.

MetroPCS confirmed my E911 was set, and then told me to call T-Mobile about my Wi-Fi error message. T-Mobile told me that Metro's system is identical on the customer service side and they should have been able to set Wi-Fi calling right then and there. Now MetroPCS and T-Mobile are playing the blame game and I've gotten no straight answers. I double-checked my T-Mobile carrier version (17.1) and everything looks like it should work. Maybe I shouldn't have ditched my iOS 7 jailbreak so soon...

After a couple more calls to MetroPCS, playing "India roulette" as I call it trying to find someone who knows what they're talking about, MetroPCS ultimately said that they don't enable Wi-Fi calling for BYOD, while T-Mobile swears they're all lying pieces of crap and if I switch to an actual T-Mobile plan, everything would be ponies and rainbows and wi-fi calling.

I can only seem to find limited information on T-Mobile devices with Metro/Tmo SIM with wifi issues, mainly Android devices using third party apps like Joyn -- nothing on the native iOS 8 calling feature that I'm struggling with. I love being able to gobble up data on a slightly cheaper plan through MetroPCS while enjoying T-Mobile coverage, but am I stuck without Wi-Fi calling until I get a "real" T-Mobile account again?

Thanks in advance for your help and info, and here's the obligatory short version of this lengthy post for your consumption:

TL;DR I can't get wireless calling to work on my T-Mobile iPhone 5c (iOS 8) with T-Mobile SIM through MetroPCS.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones