1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips MHL Adapter Group Buy

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pwannell, May 11, 2011.

1. atsnom

atsnom Lurker
    None

May 19, 2011
    so to clarify things for me....

If i have a micro usb to hdmi cable I can plug my galaxy s2 into my hdmi port on the hdtv and veiw in 1080p but as im using the phones only usb connection I will only be able to view on the tv for aslong as my battery lasts.

with the adapter it adds an extra usb port so i can watch on the hdtv and connect a usb charger at the same time so I can view aslong as I like without the battery dieing.

if i have a new mhl enabled tv i just need the cable as the tv can send power back to the phone

Advertisement

2. karendar

karendar Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    IT coordinator
    Montreal, QC

3. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Just had confirmation this morning that I am being sent a prototype MHL cable, I don't think it will have the adapter, so be interesting to see whether it will work with the SGSII (possible the requirement for power is baked into the adapter, as it is in my Galaxy Tab HDMI dock).

4. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    At a reasonable price, I shall remain interested until the web retailers start to get hold of them at a sensible price (ie <

5. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member
    None

W.O.W! I was literally just talking about the possibility of being able to use your phone as a PC connected to your telly, and now I read this!

I don't have a flashy 40" TV at the moment, so will wait for the MHL cables to come down in prices, but great idea and thanks for the offer @pwannell :)

6. NZtechfreak

None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thats how I've used my SGSI for some time now - my youtube channel has some videos. I can confirm BT keyboard and mouse also work with my SGSII (again, video proof for anyone who needs it at my youtube channel - in the video on USB OTG).

7. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member
    None

You Sir, are indeed a legend :cool:

8. NZtechfreak

None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hardly, but I can tell you mirroring via TV out with BT keyboard and mouse is a really nice set up! Was important here at home for a period last year when my fiance had no laptop and needed mine to do work!

9. karendar

karendar Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    IT coordinator
    Montreal, QC
    Just so you guys know, don't buy that MicroUSB to HDMI thing. It's NOT MicroUSB but Mini HDMI to HDMI... There is no such thing as Micro USB to HDMI except the MHL adapter and the old Samsung Galaxy S MicroUSB to HDMI cable...

10. gbswales

gbswales Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Are you sure about that because everything I have read on forums before now specifically stated that the Samsungs do not work with Mini HDMI even though the plug looks the same. I wish someone could clarify this because the mini HDMI leads are much cheaper than the Micro USB > HDMI ones. :thinking:

I am not bothered by the charging feature as I am only wanting to be able to quickly play back short videos immediately to show people before i take them off and edit them myself.

11. Nirvana1000

Nirvana1000 Member
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    You have it wrong.And i know because i've been looking for one for the last two weeks in stores.It's micro USB to HDMI !
    Here is the proof.For Samsung MHL Adapter Micro USB to HDMI Galaxy S2: Amazon.ca: Electronics
    http://www.amazon.com/Menotek-Adapter-Galaxy-Tablet-Sensation/dp/B005F9W6DU

12. gbswales

gbswales Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Micro USB MHL Adapter to HDMI - this is what is really needed for Samsung S2 as it enables you to charge the phone at the same time (almost essential for more than a few minutes video) Samsung one is expensive but there are third party ones on Amazon and eBay (I have one on order at the moment)

Mini HDMI to HDMI cable - these exist and the mini HDMI plug confusingly seems to have the same appearance as a Micro USB plug - I have written to Samsung to find out if a mini-hdmi plug works with it - it may FIT but does it WORK? (I doubt they are going to answer as they recommend their adapter!). In any event even if the mini HDMI to HDMI worked you would not be able to charge the phone at the same time as the MHL technology is not as far as I am aware built in to most TVs currently on the UK market

Mini USB to HDMI cable
    - I believe these exist but they will definitely not fit the S2 as the mini USB plug is quite different

This clarifies what I believe to be the current situation - will report back on how my

13. gbswales

gbswales Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    What the Samsung S2 (and potentially all other phones) really needs is a blue tooth HDMI adapter that does not require any cable connection at the phone end (freeing up the charging socket). I would imagine it is theoretically possible and is a gap in the market for any entrepreneur wanting to have a go! :)

14. Nirvana1000

Nirvana1000 Member
    None

Oct 4, 2011
  15. GSMGuy

GSMGuy Member
    None

Apr 21, 2010
    I purchased a genuine Samsung MHL adaptor a few weeks ago for

16. thorkwin

thorkwin Lurker
    None

Nov 23, 2011
    I got my hdtv adapter few eeeks ago, then i bought a blutooth mouse and keyboard Took a video of how this thing works then showed it to some isheep co workers of mine. You guys should see how they look...

17. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    Geniune samsung MHL

18. Nirvana1000

Nirvana1000 Member
    None

Oct 4, 2011
    Nice.That's my next purchase!Which Bluetooth keyboard and mouse did you buy?