1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support MHL cuts out

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skiflyer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. skiflyer

skiflyer Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    Chicago
    So I bought a Samsung MHL cable from amazon... said it was made for an S2, but I can't why that would matter.

I hooked it up to my phone, with the full 1amp charger and loaded up some streaming 4g netflix. I'm hooked up via HDMI to a 1080p Sony DLP tv from 2005 (Sony KDS-R60XBR1 Overview & User Reviews - Projection TVs - CNET Reviews)

Photos looked great, but take a second to settle in. Netflix looked passable, not HD but good enough for me. Then about 15 minutes in it starts blacking out for a few seconds at a time.

Searching the forums I see other people mentioning similar with different phones, is MHL just not very good? Is it a TV thing? Any one know any options here? I started with 90% battery, and like I said I used the 1amp charger that came with the phone, so I don't think it's a power thing. But that said, I had previously started with an 850mA charger and it did the same thing much sooner, so I'm not sure.

Any one have any ideas for me?

Advertisement

2. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2011
    Industrial Electrician
    South Jersey
    If the speed of the netflix feed is slow it will stop until the buffer catches up.

3. skiflyer

None

Dec 17, 2011
    Chicago
    Nah, it's not that... the show keeps playing on the nexus screen.

I have a guess now, it looks like 4g + MHL out is a drain on the battery and somewhere around 75% you get cutouts. That seems ridiculous to me, but not sure what I can do about it.

Trying with Wifi would probably give me a good idea if that's what it is, but unfortunately my wifi is on the fritz right now so I can't verify.

4. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I wonder how a 2A charger (like the iPad uses) would do? Any chance it could completely power the MHL adapter and still pump enough juice back into the phone?

5. quick

quick Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2010
  6. rivera02

rivera02 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Male
    It's probably the mhl adapter...i bought one off of the t mobile website and i have the exact same problem with the nexus and my Evo 3d, which is the phone i originally bought it for.

7. skiflyer

None

Dec 17, 2011
    Chicago
    Are you implying you've tried another adapter that works or just guessing at the reason?

8. ExDementia

ExDementia Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2011
    IT Technician
    It's not the MHL adapter, it's the phone, and as far as I know all Galaxy Nexus' will do it. I did quite a bit of research into this and tested it for myself:

The problem occurs when the phone loses or regains signal, including when it flips from 3g/4g or vice versa. Sometimes it would happen when I send or receive a text, but always when there was a disruption with the signal. I have terrible signal at my house so I was getting this pretty bad.

Test this by putting the phone into airplane mode while its hooked up the the adapter. It should completely stop the problem.

Since I get better 3g signal at my house I turn 4g off to try to minimize the issue. It barely does it to me now, but it will every so often if it isn't in airplane mode.

9. duke69111

duke69111 Newbie
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    Kansas
    I think that this could be a 4g issue as well. Mine cuts out like crazy when on 4g, but does not do it when I am on wifi. I thought it was a loose cable. When I am on 4g and move the calbe ever so slightly it cuts out, but when I made the switch to wifi it stoped and I could not get it to do it, I wiggled the shit out of that cable and could not get it to do it. I then switched back to 4g and it started to cut out immediately.

When it cuts out the screen goes black or the fuzzy grey. I have have the galaxy nexus.

I started a bug report at google android bug reports if anybody has anything to add: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32996&thanks=32996&ts=1339474401

Tags: