• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mic not working for calls

badmogwai

Lurker
Sep 14, 2021
Hello,

I've been dealing with this problem for a while and was wondering if anyone had a clue on how to fix this.

Manufacturer - Samsung
Model - Note 9
Software version - Android 10
Phone not rooted
Specifics of the problem :

When I want to place a call from either my carrier or voip like WhatsApp, Signal etc... my mic is not working - no one can hear me.
The app all have permissions to use the microphone.
When using the voice recorder it pick up everything fine with no problem.

I don't seem to find why this happens and would appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Android is set up so that only one app at a time can use the microphone.

The phone itself, like a call through the carrier, is supposed to override any other app that is using the mic, but sometimes you can find a glitch in this.

It sounds as though an app that has permission is not 'letting go' after you are done using it.

You know what have permission to use the mic, and which of those work and which ones do not, correct?

Try denying the mic permission for the app(s) that are able to use it, and then see if that helps with the app(s) that are not working.

Have you tried restarting the device?

Not resetting, but restarting.
Basically turning it off, then turning it back on again.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Hello,

I tried both of your solutions with no results.
On the voice recorder my voice is clear and easily picked.
If I want to leave myself a vocal message on Signal my voice is very very low.
It looks like the volume for my microphone is not the same on my voip apps, is there a way to fix that?

Best regards,

Upvote 0
Hello,

I tried both of your solutions with no results.
On the voice recorder my voice is clear and easily picked.
If I want to leave myself a vocal message on Signal my voice is very very low.
It looks like the volume for my microphone is not the same on my voip apps, is there a way to fix that?

Best regards,

So Signal is storing your nessages on the cloud?

It is possible that there is a quality setting on Signal, and/or there is an issue with quality due to compression or in general.

The only apps I have ever seen that could help with this are only for output, and act as a sort of pre-amp.

Possibly there are some of pre-amp apps available for android, but I doubt it.

Android is not known for having the best sonic capabilities, and so I am doubtful that such an app exists or would be helpful if it did.

What may help when you are listening to messages, however, is one of the apps like I mentioned before.

I like and use SpeakerBoost, but I use an older, ad-free version.
It has worked great on all my previous devices, but has issues on Android 9 and 10 (at least on my devices).

It is quite possible that a newer version would work better on newer devices, but I don't like ads- or even apps that have the capability of showing them.

(new version)
https://speaker-boost.en.uptodown.com/android

I cannot find a link to the old, ad-free version that I use, and I do not know if the mods here would allow me to post a link to it if I were to upload the apk to the cloud and post a link.

Upvote 0
Does it work for normal cellular calls?
Why are you using apps to make calls?
That is not the same thing, because the 'calls' are going over the internet- not a cellular system.

This can cause all sorts of issues, especially if your internet is slow or has a bad connection.

Your voice recorder works fine, you said- so the mic is working.

But it is odd that a separate mic will work fine where the built in mic is not.

Is it the same whether you are on speakerphone and the earpiece?
Any difference there between the two?

Upvote 0
The problem is both for VOIP and cellular calls.

Is it the same whether you are on speakerphone and the earpiece?
Any difference there between the two?
=> It works fine when I use the Bluetooth earpiece.

I mean the built in earpiece, not an external headset.
The speaker you hold to your ear if you are not using an external headset or the speakerphone.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I've been dealing with this problem for a while and was wondering if anyone had a clue on how to fix this.

Manufacturer - Samsung
Model - Note 9
Software version - Android 10
Phone not rooted
Specifics of the problem :

When I want to place a call from either my carrier or voip like WhatsApp, Signal etc... my mic is not working - no one can hear me.
The app all have permissions to use the microphone.
When using the voice recorder it pick up everything fine with no problem.

I don't seem to find why this happens and would appreciate any help.

Best regards,
I have this same issue. This is what I have done but none have resolved it.

Actions: safe mode, other phone apps (eg virus/malware scans, installed google phone, whatsapp, talkatone, etc), using external headphones with mic, swapped-out sim, google play protect and checked all permissions and removed other mic-using apps, factory reset

I have an issue with voice calls in that my mic will not unmute (I can hear person called fine but they can't hear me). Hitting mute button only alternates green/white. Only apps tried so far with no issue are skype & voice recorder. Sim tested good in another sam phone (no mic issues).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones