• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Micro SD card for ET4G?

Androidcurious

Android Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2010
I'm looking for a micro SD card for my phone and I wanted to know if there's anyting I should look for or stay away from? I was looking at class 6 or class 10 cards but I have no idea if they're compatible with my device.

(I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question but I'm coming over from an iPhone so I'm a little rusty when it comes to upgradable storage options. Just imagine how lost I'll be when I start looking for a replaceable battery ;)

I truly doubt whether any cell phone can use the speed of a card past class 4.

Class 6 and above are needed for high speed access on SLR cameras with multiple frames per second. Interestingly, HD video does not use that much speed access in comparison to still cameras.

Interesting. This is why I was asking, I'm so out of this game I have no idea what the huge difference would be between the different classes anyway. Anyone care to provide a primer?

(Yes, I know the internet is my friend but I like hearing from people who have practical experience with this stuff.)

Reactions: DrCaleb
Upvote 0
Anyone care to provide a primer?

The class of speed measurement we are referring to is the official unit of speed measurement for SD Cards, defined by the SD Association. The Class number represents a multiple of 8 Mbit/s (1 MB/s), the least sustained write speeds for a card in a fragmented state (Class 2, 4, 6) or the minimum non-fragmented sequential write speed (Class 10).[17]

These are the ratings of all currently available cards:[14][24]
Class Speed
Class 2 2 MB/s
Class 4 4 MB/s
Class 6 6 MB/s
Class 10 10 MB/s

I mentioned the faster speeds as unnecessary for a cell phone because these faster speeds of Class 6 and 10 are pretty much reserved for high-speed SLR cameras that need a large "pipeline" to transfer single frame images at multiple frames per second. Our phone doesn't take multiple frames of still images per second. (Quite the opposite. The Epic 4G Touch probably can't take more than one shot every two or more seconds.)

Interestingly, video imaging has no requirement for high data transfer speed. This is because the "pipe" for video isn't used to resupply an entirely new images every second. Most HD video images are "ghosts" or rendered images of the previous frame and therefore don't completely rewrite the previous image.

For example: A DSLR that has the capability to fire off several shots a second will actually be noticeably faster if it has a higher class memory card, because the faster card allows the camera to save image data at a much higher rate than a slower card would. With the higher class card, the camera doesn't have to pause and wait for its buffer to empty before taking more pictures, it just keeps shooting. The difference here is that your typical Android phone isn't likely to put that big a load on the write capabilities of its memory card.

Most of the time that you spend waiting for a picture to be saved on a phone is usually the phone processing the image, not saving it.

A typical Android phone's Micro SD card might be a Class 2, meaning it's guaranteed to write at 2MB/s. Most companies actually make the cards to exceed that expectation, sometimes by quite a bit. If you take huge amounts of pictures with your phone, a Class 4 Micro SD card, which is just one class higher, might benefit you. It won't exactly be a life-altering experience, but it could speed things up if your phone's camera takes pictures at something higher than 5 Megapixels. That is the reason I suggest you buy at least a Class 4 card, because the E4GT takes photos at 8 megapixels.

If you use the USB Storage feature of your Android phone pretty frequently, then things are a bit different. When plugged into a computer as a USB storage device, the full capabilities of the card are used to transfer data

Upvote 0
The class of speed measurement we are referring to is the official unit of speed measurement for SD Cards, defined by the SD Association. The Class number represents a multiple of 8 Mbit/s (1 MB/s), the least sustained write speeds for a card in a fragmented state (Class 2, 4, 6) or the minimum non-fragmented sequential write speed (Class 10).[17]

These are the ratings of all currently available cards:[14][24]
Class Speed
Class 2 2 MB/s
Class 4 4 MB/s
Class 6 6 MB/s
Class 10 10 MB/s

I mentioned the faster speeds as unnecessary for a cell phone because these faster speeds of Class 6 and 10 are pretty much reserved for high-speed SLR cameras that need a large "pipeline" to transfer single frame images at multiple frames per second. Our phone doesn't take multiple frames of still images per second. (Quite the opposite. The Epic 4G Touch probably can't take more than one shot every two or more seconds.)

Interestingly, video imaging has no requirement for high data transfer speed. This is because the "pipe" for video isn't used to resupply an entirely new images every second. Most HD video images are "ghosts" or rendered images of the previous frame and therefore don't completely rewrite the previous image.

For example: A DSLR that has the capability to fire off several shots a second will actually be noticeably faster if it has a higher class memory card, because the faster card allows the camera to save image data at a much higher rate than a slower card would. With the higher class card, the camera doesn't have to pause and wait for its buffer to empty before taking more pictures, it just keeps shooting. The difference here is that your typical Android phone isn't likely to put that big a load on the write capabilities of its memory card.

Most of the time that you spend waiting for a picture to be saved on a phone is usually the phone processing the image, not saving it.

A typical Android phone's Micro SD card might be a Class 2, meaning it's guaranteed to write at 2MB/s. Most companies actually make the cards to exceed that expectation, sometimes by quite a bit. If you take huge amounts of pictures with your phone, a Class 4 Micro SD card, which is just one class higher, might benefit you. It won't exactly be a life-altering experience, but it could speed things up if your phone's camera takes pictures at something higher than 5 Megapixels. That is the reason I suggest you buy at least a Class 4 card, because the E4GT takes photos at 8 megapixels.

If you use the USB Storage feature of your Android phone pretty frequently, then things are a bit different. When plugged into a computer as a USB storage device, the full capabilities of the card are used to transfer data

Reactions: DrCaleb
Upvote 0
Here are some ideas I have regarding cards. These are just opinions reflecting what I have read and heard about regarding the cards. I put them in three categories, the first starting with SanDisk because they invented the format.

SanDisk, Toshiba, Samsung, and some other brands I can't remember

Transcend, Kingston, PNY, Lexar, Kodak, PQI

I might think twice of these brands: (Maybe others have had good results?)

Off Brands: Polaroid, Dane-Elec, ACP, TransFlash, Adata, Centon, Micro, Patriot, 3C Pro

NOTE: Make sure whatever brand you buy, it is from a legitimate and verified dealer. These cards are way too easy to counterfeit, and unless you know the branding, you may get stiffed by an unknown seller.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I tried using a Kingston 32GB microSD card I picked up on Woot.com, but it failed to be recognized by the Epic. So, purchase wisely! Otherwise you end up with an expensive but useless curio!

Probably fake.

I use my phone to hold my DJ videos so I'm always transferring 6-10 gigs off of it at a time so I went with a Class 10. Got it from Results for Micro SD Ram (Trans Flash)

Also got screen protector from there.

Upvote 0
Probably fake.

I'd be quite surprised if it was. I've bought a lot of stuff from Woot and they're very reliable. They're owned by Amazon. Their policy is for you to first try to get satisfaction through the OEM but if they won't help you, Woot will take it back for a refund.

I don't have first hand knowledge if it's true or not, but there's a discussion page for each product they sell (and there is a lot of posts for each one) and I've never seen a report of a return problem. I check their main page almost every day for deals...

Woot

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones