• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro SD card issues!

fazmuffin

Lurker
Sep 28, 2010
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 32gb microSD card (brand is Kingston technology) and I started to put my music from my Macbook Pro onto the microSD inserted into my Galaxy S. It was working fine for a while but all of a sudden for no apparent reason the phone disconnected from the computer and now when I put the phone in to my computer it doesn't read the SD card.

I tried to format it from the phone, but that doesn't work. It just says 'blank external SD card' and then 'removed external SD card' even though it is still inserted. And under SD card in the settings it just says 'Unavailable'.

Any body have any ideas how to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

You may have more than one issue with this. First, how old is your computer? I have a couple of desktops that can't even read my 8GB SDHC card from my camera. If you can get another computer to actually recognize the card, try testing it with this utility: H2testw 1.4. It's easily found and it will tell you if the card is legit or if it is defective. A lot of fakes were sold on ebay - I had questioned one seller about his statement that it shipped from "AT, USA" when his location was listed as China - he was a brand new seller and the account was closed immediately after I questioned him.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Hi I have had the simular issue with a 32 gig sandisk on a window se7en desktop everything with works works fine, I mount the card and can see it in windows fine just like any other drive I can copy files to and from the card but when I dismount the card the Phone recans the memory card and then informs me that the card is damaged. On a reformatting the card everything seem to be ok until I mount the card again

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem, turned out to be a dodgy app that I had installed. If you have installed any Apps since the problems started with reading your SD then uninstall and see if that does the trick. If my memory is correct it was a couple of music player apps that I downloaded to try out and one of them started creating long filenames that caused the problem. As I said, when unistalled and rebooted everything was fine... hope this resolves your issue.

Reactions: edie209
Upvote 0
Incorrect, Kingston have recently released their own 32GB cards, but I don't think that was true at the time the OP posted this...

Yes they have indeed recently announced they will be shipping 32GB micro SDHC cards.

eBay however is chock full of fakes. Sadly people don't spot the fakes, they test the cards and they "work" so they plod on with them and it's weeks months or never before they realise it's a fake.

eBay take no action on it because they're making a fortune from the trade.

Why do I know? Because I have a 32GB fake Kingston card here in front of me that I bought 2 months ago :) I've been refunded, but it looks very very real.

Upvote 0
Indeed, I already said I believed he had a fake, just wanted to add the correct info as an aside, rather than directing it toward the OP's original query.

When will people realise that if it looks to good to be true, especially on Ebay, then it is?

I've got lots of stuff of Ebay and never had problems, most of it electronics, you just need a little common sense (only buy it from power-sellers with near perfect feedback, don't buy it if its too cheap).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones