1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Micro SD Speed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Monachos, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Monachos

Monachos Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm looking to upgrade my microSD from the default 2gb and am looking at either 8gb or 16gb. I'm also thinking of getting a class 4 or 6 card, if it will boost performance. So my question is, based on your experience, is the boost in performance significant or is it just something that registers a difference in benchmark testings (but makes no practical difference)?

Advertisement

2. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember

Oct 18, 2008
    If for nothing else, I would get a class 6 so that you will be ready for when the phone gets rooted and you are able to do apps2sd

3. LABRAT

LABRAT Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Burnley UK
    the class system seems to work on data transfer speed..

class 2 = 2 meg a second
    class 6 = 6 meg a second

if you watch vids on your phone a class 6 will cut downon search times if your jumping through the film to the best bits.

ive also read that android uses some of the micro sd card as a cashe file..so a faster card should make for a faster phone experiance.

i have my eye on a transend 16gb class 6 card on amazon uk for

4. Monachos

Monachos Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Does the phone read at those speeds (2mbs for class 2 and 6mbs for class 6), or does that happen only when directly reading the card from a PC? Oh, is there a big difference between brands? I tried googling that, and the only info I picked up was that a Nokia Class 4 is faster than a Transcend Class 6.

5. thefley

thefley Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Oklahoma
    16gb class 6 card

buy it online at walmart. half as much as Ebay

6. LABRAT

LABRAT Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Burnley UK
    no idea sorry

but id be suprised if that speed thing was true.. one of the reviews on amozon reconed he clocked well over 6 meg a second on a transend card..

now and then i get the message on the phone waiting for memory card od somthing similar.... to me this says i need a faster card.

7. Monachos

Monachos Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks guys. I will probably get a 16gb class 6 if I can get a bargain. :eek:

Tags: