• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Micro USB charging cable for DX

I bought two off Amazon, they are longer than the stock, but not by a whole lot. Seller was S&F Planet, cables were less than $3 each. I also bought this
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"OEM Home Travel AC Charger (SPN5334A) for Verizon Motorola Droid A855 Cell Phone" Wireless Phone Accessory; $3.07[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] from the same seller. All work just fine.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0
For microUSB cables you will find a lot of choices. I decided to order from ezeStand (scroll down to the cables, ezeStand - Buy it Now!) where Todd sells 6ft microUSB with right angle connector which is very convenient. Those are hard to find. I already got one from him and just ordered 2 more. Price is under $4 and you have to pay shipping, but these are of a high quality.

Upvote 0
Why make only your phone's USB cable longer? I chose this route a long time ago. :)

Belkin 6-ft. USB 2.0 Cable Extension A-A : Belkin Cables | RadioShack.com

You don't have to get that particular one obviously. It's just low cost and I thought it was a nice example.

That's what I did for my vehicle. I have a 12V aux port in the back (SUV) and wanted to keep my center console one free so I purchased a 15' USB extension for a couple bucks, and it works like a charm. Since I'm using the car dock I never have to worry about any wires except for plugging in the aux stereo cable.

Upvote 0
I agree that the stock one is short. (I just measured it at 38".) I actually got two different ones from Amazon and both are longer. I got an LG Charger with usb cable that amounted to $6 including shipping from the OEM shop:

Amazon.com: LG OEM Original USB Home Charger with USB Data Cable (SGDY0014303) for LG Swift AX500, Incite CT810, Rhythm AX585, VX5500, AX155, Lotus LX600, VX8560 Chocolate 3, AX300, UX300, Dare VX9700, Decoy VX8610, LX400, enV2 VX9100, Glimmer AX830,

I just measured this and it is 48"; delivery was really fast. Both the charger and USB cable work on my Droid X. I was much more willing to spend the $3 + $3 shipping then shell out Verizon's ridiculous amounts for an "authentic" Droid X charger.

I got bought another LG charger from SF Planet that doesn't have a USB cable as part of it that can be found here:

Amazon.com: OEM Micro USB LG Wall Charger: Cell Phones & Service

It cost about $5 and measures a whopping 72". Works great too!

Upvote 0
@twister6. They both have the following specs:

Input 100-240 V ~ 50/60 Hz 0.2 A
Output 5.1 V / 0.7 A

The Motorola charger that the X comes with is the same except for Output it says 5.1 V / 850 mA.

Based on my research, the 0.15 A output difference shouldn't be much of a concern. The LG charger will just take slightly long to charge the battery fully, I suppose, but as long as it had a regulated output of 5V +/- 0.25 and puts out at least 500 mA, it should be fine as I understand it. Do you have concerns with that output?

Upvote 0
Why make only your phone's USB cable longer? I chose this route a long time ago. :)

Belkin 6-ft. USB 2.0 Cable Extension A-A : Belkin Cables | RadioShack.com

You don't have to get that particular one obviously. It's just low cost and I thought it was a nice example.

Wish I had thought of that.

But what I did was get a longer one to plug in the AC adapter to replace the short one, and took the short one to my office where it plugs into the USB on the laptop where length doesn't matter. Use it for sync and emergency charge.

Upvote 0
@twister6. They both have the following specs:

Input 100-240 V ~ 50/60 Hz 0.2 A
Output 5.1 V / 0.7 A

The Motorola charger that the X comes with is the same except for Output it says 5.1 V / 850 mA.

Based on my research, the 0.15 A output difference shouldn't be much of a concern. The LG charger will just take slightly long to charge the battery fully, I suppose, but as long as it had a regulated output of 5V +/- 0.25 and puts out at least 500 mA, it should be fine as I understand it. Do you have concerns with that output?

Based on everything I've read, it will take longer to charge up DX with a charger rated under 850mA. So the only concern is if you are using it plugged in while running a lot of applications that drain the battery, you might be discharging the battery at a higher rate than charging it up. Generally it

Upvote 0
For microUSB cables you will find a lot of choices. I decided to order from ezeStand (scroll down to the cables, ezeStand - Buy it Now!) where Todd sells 6ft microUSB with right angle connector which is very convenient. Those are hard to find. I already got one from him and just ordered 2 more. Price is under $4 and you have to pay shipping, but these are of a high quality.

Really want a right angle micro USB cord also but doesn't this orient the wrong way on the 'X'. Won't the cord have to face the wrong way to connect?

LMK please. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones