1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Micro usb for aux audio output?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nerdabilly, Dec 29, 2013.

1. nerdabilly

nerdabilly Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    I'm trying to see if I can use a single cable in my car for both charging and audio on my GS4.

I've seen cables like this:

USD $ 4.99 - USB to Micro USB and AUX Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 and Others, Free Shipping On All Gadgets!

One end is Micro USB male, the other is male 3.5mm and male USB. Fortunately, I have a USB cigarette lighter adapter and the lighter and AUX input for my car are right next to each other, so this cable would be ideal, but I'm not certain in would work without doing some digital/analog conversion. Is this possible? Could I install an app for it, or would it just work?

Thanks for any help

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    There's a resistor in the cable that tells the phone to output raw analog sound (before the internal preamp) on the USB data pins. It's unfiltered and line level, but putting it through your car's sound system should clean it up enough to be at least as good as listening with earphones. You can't do anything else with the jack at the same time, though - like an OTG cable connected to the audio cable's USB plug.

3. nerdabilly

nerdabilly Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks! My car doesn't have USB, so I'd really just be using the phone as a media player and I'd rather do it with one cable instead of 2. Also a $5 cable beats a $40 dock, so I'll give it a try.