• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Microphone not working incoming call ?!?

shmicky

May 8, 2010
Hi,
noticed today that every time I get an incoming call and answer, the caller cant hear me talking. When I call them back they hear me fine, but when I answer an incoming call they can not hear me..
This just started happening today..

Has anyone else experienced this ? Any fixes - apart from getting a new replacement from Orange ??

thanks

I am on t-mobile and have experienced similar problems,at first I thought it might be because I was indoors but it has happened while I have been outdoors as well.
I seem to fade out during the conversation.I don't know if there is an app for calibrating the Mic on the phone.
However it could just be the network I am on,in London don't seem to the problem but on the isle of Wight its very iffy at times.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. Only started happening about a week ago after having no problems previously.

When I get an incoming call after I haven't used the phone for a while, the person cannot hear me - but I can hear them. They hang up, and if they call back again then they can hear me fine the second time around. I think the microphone is being disabled after the phone has been idle for a while.

I'm from Australia, so it's definitely nothing to do with the phone carriers.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem - I thought initially, it was because I had flashed my Desire with a Generic ROM, but by reading this thread, it would seem to me that's its a problem with the phone itself.

I phoned Orange last week and they instructed me to change the Network Mode (Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode) to "GSM Only". I tried this for a few days, and it seemed to work ok (but i didn't receive a lot of calls)....when I switched it back to "GSM / WCDMA auto", the problems returned the next day.

I would urge others to give the above a try to see if it really does solve the problem...

Oh, and remember, it could be worse....the signal could go completely if you hold it in your left hand ;)

BTW - My replacement Desire is arriving this morning! I will let you all know if it solves the problem.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the GSM tip.. i'll give it a go.

Another thing I noticed today was the same behaviour happens when I answer the phone using the headphones. This uses a different microphone embedded in the cable of the headphones.

So it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Looks more like a software problem - which is good because it is more likely to be fixed with a patch or something.

Upvote 0
At least if I had the option of not holding it in my left hand and the call actually working, I would not have to send it back! :(

From the limited number of people having this issue across different networks I am thinking it's not likely to be a software issue. If it's software, a lot more people would have the problem too.

Doesn't setting it to GSM only mean that you lose 3G, which defeats the purpose of having a smartphone?

Upvote 0
Doesn't setting it to GSM only mean that you lose 3G, which defeats the purpose of having a smartphone?

From what I know (and my knowledge is limited!), yeah it means no 3G - only 2G.. but you can still use data fairly well on a 2G network (although you would not be able to do something like video streaming).

I guess it depends what u use ur smartphone for as to whether using GSM only is going to be ok until they develop a fix (hopefully!)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I've had the same problem with my HTC desire on Orange. If I switch 3G on people can't hear me when I answer a call but they can hear me if I call them or if they call me back.

Orange suggested switching to 2G only - thanks for that Orange so what is the point of having a 3G phone? Of course everything works fine in 2G.

I complained and they sent me a replacement phone which, surprise surprise gave me exactly the same problem. So i now have to remember to toggle between 2G and 3G to make sure that I can use the phone as a phone! Needless to say nobody is owning up to the problem so I don't know if it is the Desire, although I would have expected more threads in these types of forums, or some freaky interaction between the network and the phone.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I'm with Orange in the UK.

To make sure it wasn't anything to do with third party apps, I factory reset the Desire. If I then call the desire from another phone, and turn the speakerphone on on the other phone, the call can only be heard on the other phone on every other call. That is, on every other incoming call to the Desire, the person at the other end can't hear me, but I can hear them. This is not intermittent in any way, it can be reproduced again and again.

The problem only happens in 3G, if I switch to 2G, everything is OK. I've tried calling the Desire from a landline, from a Motorola Razr, and an iPhone, and the same thing happens with all of them.

I'm currently waiting for Orange to get back to me about it, but it doesn't look to me like changing the handset will fix it (I've already had a replacement handset from Orange). My software version is 1.15.61.10. There is a later version than this on the HTC website, but it's not available to Orange users yet.

Upvote 0
Looks like l have the same problem.
I've bought an unlocked, SIM free Desire and put my Orange SIM-Only contract 3G SIM in it.
I can make calls fine, but if someone calls me, every other call they can't hear me or they hear noise.
It is quite literally every other call, i.e. works, fails, works, fails...
If I switch to 2G, as suggested by an earlier post, everything works, but I really need 3G.
My old Nokia phone works fine on 3G with the same SIM.
My Desire is on the latest firmware.
Why are we not seeing lots and lots of complaints, what is special about our setup?

Upvote 0
I decided over the weekend to try just about the only thing I haven't tried yet - testing the phone reasonably far away from where I live. I live in a medium size town in the UK, which is about 30 miles away from Glasgow, the nearest city. I found that the phone worked perfectly in Glasgow. I'd be interested to hear if any other people with this problem have been using it mainly in a single location.

Upvote 0
Same problem, and workaround, which Ive posted here Desire microphone not activating - HTC - Android - Whirlpool Forums but also reproduce here :

Same problem here on an HTC Desire imported from the UK (to AUS). It has only happened recently, and only after the latest firmware upgrade to 1.21.405.2 (that I declined to take until a few weeks after it came out). Of course that doesnt prove its the firmware upgrade, but it certainly looks suspicious to me.
Is therew anyone experiencing this issue on an HTC Desire that has a lower firmware version than 1.21.405.2
For me this issue is easily and totally reproducible, occurring on about 50% of incomming calls, so I can just sit by a desk phone and make several calls to reproduce the issue.
From doing this I know :
1. Its not the built-in microphone because it happens with the headset too. Specifically, receiving a call and having no sound from the mic, plugging the headset in makes no difference. I can also have the headset already plugged in
and take a call, only to find it likewise muted.
2. Its highly unlikely to be the carrier, because people report this exact same problem with several different carriers across different continents.
3. Switching the phone to GSM only completely elimenates the problem, or reduces it to the extent that I cant reproduce it at all.
Anyone else find this ?

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. Initially I was intermittently losing transmit audio but a restart of the phone would fix the problem. Now I have completely lost mic functionality in call as well as using the voice recording or Google seach app. Have re-started phone several times, unistalled heaps of apps (hence numerous restarts) still no joy.

I'm with Telstra in Australia. I rang them to find out if this was a known issue and if there was a work around. Got the usual poor Telstra customer service; actually spoke to five different reps during the course of the phone call only to end up with a girl in what was obviously an offshore call centre who seemed to have limited ability in terms of English comprehension who told me to take the handset to a Telstra store...thanks Telstra.

Anyway looks to me like a hardware issue although others have had some success rooting the handset or swithching off 3G connectivity. The fact that even the native voice recording function is not working for me makes me think that it's more than just a radio issue as seem to have been the case with others as described above.

Pretty dissapointed right now, have to say that the lustre was already starting to wear off for me for this device but I was holding out optimistically for Froyo. Might have to think about WinMo 7 when that hardware starts hitting the shelves.

Upvote 0
Hi All,
I am from OKC,USA. I have the same issue with HTC Desire Telstra A8183 Adrid-2.1. I bought this phone last week from third party vendor was unlocked. I am with AT&T.At first i did not receive 3G. I fiddled with this phone without installing or rooting any ROM updates and I could able to fix the 3G issue. However, I am seeing this MIC activation issue while receiving calls after the 3G fix. I never had this problem with HTC Desire A8181. Did anybody find the permanent fix without compromising 3G ?

Upvote 0
Im also on orange and recieved a 2.2 update over the air...

The problem still exists as i got a call today when the phone was idle ... the other person couldnt hear me...

I was also using this NO LOCK as someone suggested on a forum where the phone does not lock itself... this is meant to work.. but it doesnt.

Im going to call up carphonewarehouse and get a replacement ... My mum also has a HTC desire but does not suffer from this problem so it could be this batch...

Upvote 0
Whats the latest regarding this bug? I was, until recently, blaming my girlfriends new phone for this always happening (as it was originally only happening with her). She even contacted Orange and got a replacement handset (hers is a nokia) today. I am reluctant to send my phone back as I have unlocked and debranded my handset but the bug is really beginning to pee me off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones