1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Microphone stopped working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Petitio, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Petitio

Petitio Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2016
    Male
    Hey,

my microphone suddenly stopped working on my S7 Edge (Duos), which I have owned for less than 3 weeks.
    The other caller cannot hear me neither on normal phone mode nor on speaker nor with an external mic (tested ok). I can not record an audio file or record an audio track on my camera with either. The audio recording stays at 0% volume.

I did not drop the phone or hit it against anything. Only relevant thing I remember doing recently is activate OK Google voice recognition on all screens.

Things I have tried so far:
    - Reboot in Safe mode
    - Cleaning the mic hole with pressurized air and gently with a sharp needle (some tiny insect was in there I think but it might have from the USB port or speaker as well)
    - Factory reset

What's weird is that no external mic seems to work either.

Is there anything else I haven't thought of or should try (e.g. hard reset if that makes any difference) before sending the device in for RMA?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
    Petitio

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Have you tried the Bluetooth Headphone? You don't have to buy one, just go to a store that sells one and test out one of their samples.

3. Petitio

Petitio Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2016
    Male
    Dear Snakesystem,
    thanks for your idea. I just tried calling with the BT of my rented car and it worked.
    Still no change with the phone mic or external headset unfortunately...
    I do get a static noise though when plugging and unplugging the headset while recording.

4. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    A couple of suggestions.
    You can pick up a Bluetooth headset. It's really very convenient and will solve your communication issues while you fix the other issues with your phone.
    It's possible that crud in your headphone jack is preventing connection and yet is jamming on the switch that signals to the phone that a headphone is inserted. Try the following: –
    have someone call you and then once the phone screen turns on, tap on the speaker icon. This should override the headphone connection switch built into the headphone jack. Let me know if that works.
    I would also suggest, thoroughly cleaning out the headphone jack with a plastic (not metal) pick as well as compressed air and a vacuum. Be careful but thorough.

5. Petitio

Petitio Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2016
    Male
    Hey,

thanks for your continued help. I will definitely buy a BT-Headset, was planning on it anyway- which one are you using?

My first attempt at fixing the problem was - sad to say - unsuccessful, but I will give cleaning the headphone jack another go.

Switching to speaker phone did not help either - the caller was still unable to hear me.

I attached a screenshot of Samsungs Voice Recorder. The far left part was recording with the phone's mic, the middle part with the external mic (regular headset - I tried another one aswell) and the last part was when I unplugged the external mic. Finally I reinserted it to show you the message I receive everytime I plug a headset, which makes me think that the change is indeed recognized by the phone.

Screenshot_20160817-214013.png

I would ask anyone with the S7 Edge to try and record using interview mode (in the Voice Recorder app) while holding their finger on the bottom mic hole. If i understand it correctly, both mics should be recording. Unfortunately I have no experience with that mode before the issue first occurred.

6. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    I use the Phiaton BT 100NC headset. Absolutely awesome, but expensive. It has active noise canceling which is invaluable at airports.

The microphone at the bottom of your phone is the main microphone. The microphone on the top is primarily used for noise canceling. However if you set your voice recorder to Interview mode it then acts as a secondary microphone. Try doing that and speaking into the top microphone. If that seems to work you might have a defective main microphone. If that still does not work, it is more likely a software issue or one heck of a coincidence.
    I would also temporarily uninstall any apps that access to utilize your microphone. It's a long shot, but some apps have been known to mess up microphones in android phones.

Hang in there.

7. Petitio

Petitio Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2016
    Male
    Hi again,

just an uodate: I get no recording from either microphone in interview mode.

I also uninstalled every app that uses the microphone or deactivated it and removed it's permission (except for the voice recorder and the Google app in My KNOX for which it says "enforced by policy"). Unfortunately that did not help. After that I wiped the app cache in the boot menu, but that didn't help either.

If I use an external microphone it sometimes registers a muffled noise if I tap on it with my finger.

I'm leaning towards sending the device in but I will try another hard reset this weekend.

Thanks for your help so far!

8. Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Sorry to hear that. Wish you the best of luck.

9. BBC313

BBC313 Lurker
    None

Aug 21, 2016
    Same with me :(
    I have the S7 on metropcs

10. Petitio

Petitio Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2016
    Male
    Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I started the RMA request (faulty device during the first 14 days) and will keep you guys updated how it goes.

11. Dan Poplawski

Dan Poplawski Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2016
    Male
    Mine stopped, had to uninstall Cortana, works now

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.