1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MicroSD Card issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 4saken1, Dec 29, 2011.

1. 4saken1

4saken1 Newbie

Hey guys, quick question. Anytime I have to force restart my phone, or if I drop it and the back cover falls off and the battery comes out, I have to format my SD card. Its kind of frustrating, since it happens once a week at best. I have a class 10 16 gb SD card from Microcenter. Its nice having all the space, but I never get a chance to use more than a gig, before I find I have to format it again. I have tried my original card as well as a few others, with the same thing. :( Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, or am I just stuck with dealing with this? Thanks in advance for all your help and support that you all give on these forums. This is such an awesome place.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. softtech

softtech Android Enthusiast

You might have a counterfeit card that actually has far less capacity than it claims to. This is not uncommon at all and what you describe is consistent with that.

Try to store the full 16GB by copying files from a computer and then try to compare the files. If that doesn't work you may have been seriously ripped off.

Good luck. I had to return a bogus 32GB card not too long ago and have yet to find one priced reasonably enough for me to buy to replace it...

3. 4saken1

4saken1 Newbie

no the space isnt the issue. like I said, I have tried numerous cards, they work great until I force restart phone or remove battery, then it says card is damaged or blank and needs formatted. I have used the card in many other devices with no issues at all.

4. confed

confed Android Expert

what are you running on the phone? rooted? Basix? Electric Sheep Kernel?

5. lingming

lingming Member

yea it has happen many time without dropping i went threw a few phone cause it got so hot and it wasnt even do anything it said card was dmg and i was going to take it out and look and when it came out it was soft got and it has happen a few times with different cards and phone so i just dont put a card in this one phone has cost me more money then its worth i never seen a phone as bad as this one

6. TurnerJ

TurnerJ Newbie

If you haven't rooted the phone I would suggest going and collecting on your 1 year manufacturers warrenty. If it's not the card it's something wrong with the motherboard on the phone. You can try doing a soft reset on the phone to see if maybe there is a certain setting in the phone thats wrong. But most likely you just need to warrent it out.

7. lingming

lingming Member

well its with all phone or all the phone here have the same thing over heating 4g just gone forever

8. tiede

tiede Android Expert

Well, my phone never heated up enough to melt my sdcard.
    So no, not all phones here have a 'heating 4g gone forever'problem...

9. redhook

redhook Android Expert

10. softtech

I got one for about the same price at Fry's Electronics recently - Patriot class 10 32 GB for $39.99 plus sales tax, if I remember correctly...

No reader though...

11. redhook

redhook Android Expert

That Patriot is very slow compared to the Lexar, I get around 32MB/sec read speeds. Benchmark your with SD Tools and you'll see you only get around 9MB/sec read speeds.

12. softtech

Oh well. I thought class 10 meant class 10 and that this was pretty standard.

Sigh.

13. redhook

redhook Android Expert

Class 10 refers to the sequential write speeds, should be at least 10MB/sec.

14. smotpoker

smotpoker Newbie

I am having the same problem.

Mine just says its been unexpectedly removed, then it remounts and then says its blank and needs to be formatted. I just pop it out, then pop it back in. It rescans and then usually works for about 5 minutes. Then does the same thing. It is extremely annoying. Most of my apps are on the card so they don't come up until I take it out and put it back in.

I don't see any need to keep formatting I even tho it asks to do it.

15. tiede

tiede Android Expert

Sounds like your sd card is going bad.
    Maybe it's time to buy a new one? Sorry. :(

Samsung Galaxy Indulge Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Indulge release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1500mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews