• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MicroSD card question

Turbojoe

Mar 27, 2011
Mesa, Az
I did a search here and didn't find much that was very current on the subject. I saw somewhere else recommending to use class 10 memory for fewer "issues". Obviously class 10 isn't the cheapest but if it saves me from weird problems then it's worth the money. What is the consensus on the different classes of memory? I can't see myself needing more than 16gb and even PNY class 10 seems reasonably priced (compared to 32gb) at $32.98 in stock at the local Walmart. Does this sound like the path to follow?

Joe

Wow! I just spent an hour searching Newegg.com for memory. After reading reviews I didn't see a single brand, capacity or speed of microsd memory I would feel comfortable ordering. Few had better than a 50% rating. The low ratings were plentiful and scary. I think I'm going to see how long the 2gb that came in the phone will serve me. Hopefully the quality of microsd will improve soon....

Joe

Upvote 0
I could easily fill 64GB with MP3s...

I'd personally go with a well known brand such as SanDisk... My SanDisk class 2 gets roughly 3-4MB/s read & write...

That's a LOT of songs! I have almost 1600 mp3's for just over 8gb. I probably wouldn't put all of them on the phone though.

What is the transfer rate these phones are actually capable of?

Joe

Upvote 0
Why are people trying to push this guy to 32gb? I don't get it. He was asking about card classes. Simply put, the higher the number, the faster the read/write speed is. I think my EVO came with a class 2 and I have had no isues, though I don't take much video. I higher quality (non-chinese-knock-off) card is going to do you right. For MP3's a class 2 will be fine.

Upvote 0
Why are people trying to push this guy to 32gb? I don't get it. He was asking about card classes. Simply put, the higher the number, the faster the read/write speed is. I think my EVO came with a class 2 and I have had no isues, though I don't take much video. I higher quality (non-chinese-knock-off) card is going to do you right. For MP3's a class 2 will be fine.
I guess they live under the rule bigger is better. I got a 16 gig as I am rooted and have different roms and stuff. I really think 16 is More than enough for most people.

Upvote 0
I guess they live under the rule bigger is better. I got a 16 gig as I am rooted and have different roms and stuff. I really think 16 is More than enough for most people.

I had a 16 which turned out to be a knock-off and crapped out on me. I went back to my 8GB and, while I could use a 16, obviously I am getting by without it. If I didn't have pandora I would probably be suffering. Right now I throw about 4 gigs of music on the card and swap that around every so often. 95% of my music listening is Pandora anymore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones