1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

MicroSD Reformat/Maintenence

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TADitto, Sep 5, 2011.

1. TADitto

TADitto Well-Known Member

The question I have is when should I be reformating my microSD card? should I do it each time I flash a new ROM? Or is there a time frame of how often it should be done? Also is there a way to tell what I can delete off of my card and what should stay with out causing any ill effects, as I know some apps make folders on my card?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DaRayvn

DaRayvn Android Enthusiast

no you dont need to do it each time....the only time i do it is when i go from a Sense Rom to an AOSP rom or vice versa... just to make sure i have a completely clean install...even then i dont think you have to reformat it just as long as you wipe the cache, dalvik cache, and data ( i do each 3x ) and then flash the superwipe 2 or 3 times...but still that might be a lil overkill...i just feel safer when i do it like that and have never had problems flashing yet...the only time your really gonna format it is when you partition your sd card or if you want to unpartition it....

if you see a folder on your sd and you dont have an app in your phone for it, then just delete it..thats what i do.... and if your flashing a new rom, the superwipe should delete the folders for you....

here is a list of apk files that are safe to delete and ones you shouldnt touch..

xda-developers - View Single Post - [WIP] /system/app APK's - Safe to remove list and functions

TADitto likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

pretty much all of the folders on the sd card can be erased and your phone will be fine. just keep in mind that most apps uses it to save data. i backup my card regularly to my computer. that is pretty much all i do with my card. the only time i did anything major to the card is when i partitioned my card. so there is no need to reformat the card now that you are rooted.

TADitto likes this.
  4. geewhiz

geewhiz Well-Known Member

I have only formatted my sdcard once because I had tons of just junk on it. Like ocnbrze said, formatting it won't affect your phones operation.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews