• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Simon_Gardner

Android Expert
Jun 13, 2013
Twitter @Simon_Gardner
I am hoping Samsung has dropped their boneheaded decision to drop memory expandability in the Note series with the Note 6. Rumour suggests it has? The Note 5 looked like a complete dud for that reason. I was left with abandoning Galaxy Note at that point.

And will the larger internal phone memory sizes be restricted to Asia/Japan again?

No news, except multiple reliable rumors that the microSD slot is making a comeback. It should be in the S7... and if it is, it's a pretty safe bet that Sammy will include it in the Note 6. I had the Notes 3 & 4 and skipped the 5 for the same reason: I want a microSD card!

Not sure about the 128 or 256GB version's availability. With a 200GB Sandisk microSD, I can't justify that added expense. Does anyone really NEED almost a half a terabyte of storage on a PHONE?

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Not sure about the 128 or 256GB version's availability. With a 200GB Sandisk microSD, I can't justify that added expense. Does anyone really NEED almost a half a terabyte of storage on a PHONE?

I only have a small subset of my 220+Gb of music on mine but I put work on it which is hi res images - a lot of them. The Note is ideal as a pocket portfolio. I could easily use 256+64Gb without breaking sweat. My current 128+32Gb is always full. [A lot of other data of various sorts, of course. I have a fair few OS 1:25000 maps there too. They are memory hungry but essential as there is usually no signal in places I work.]

Yes I know you can kludge together an OTG adaptor and USB flash drive but it's unsatisfactory.

So in short - it rather depends what you use the Note for.

No 256Gb microSD yet - just 200Gb - but there will be.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
No news, except multiple reliable rumors that the microSD slot is making a comeback. It should be in the S7... and if it is, it's a pretty safe bet that Sammy will include it in the Note 6. I had the Notes 3 & 4 and skipped the 5 for the same reason: I want a microSD card!

Yes. Especially with the 4K video recording..?? Massive files. So Yes, Yes we DO need more storage room

Upvote 0
And HEY, SAMSUNG - we want all that storage on the microSD card, not internal memory! If the phone shatters, breaks, gets run over or hit by an asteroid, all those files in internal memory are essentially irretrievable. I want to be able to move the card from the old broken phone to a replacement and rock on. Why Samsung envisions the demise of the microSD card I have no idea.

Upvote 0
Hi, it's me again (no shock to anyone)!

Well, with the Galaxy S7 almost certain to release with a microSD slot, it's a safe bet that the Note 6 will, too! And Samsung, if you're reading this, know that the microSD slot is, in fact, a deal-breaker for a lot of people... including me. You pop that slot in there, I can't shovel my money at you fast enough. You skip the slot like you did with the Note 5, you'll end up with a whole bunch of Note 6s you can't sell. We need it, we want it, just give it to us and take my money! :D

Upvote 0
There are frequent problems with inadequate internal phone memory which a microSD card can't alway help with.

Not least the bone headed OS achievement of blocking various apps from using the microSD card properly. Some apps have got round this. Many haven't.

Other examples include Ordnance Survey maps in the UK. Very handy and free with a physical paper map, they eat storage. At the moment the app will only store them on internal memory. They are handy of course - not just for the sheer utility - far greater than google maps - but also when you are in places with no signal. I frequently am.

There are many other examples though obviously, an eventual cure of the relevant apps is a long term solution.

32 Gb of internal phone memory no longer cuts it for me even in terms of apps.

YMMV

Upvote 0
Always good to see some familiar faces, since I've been participating in the Note forums again. And of course, Simon and I are on the same page begging for Samsung to finally offer us as much storage possibilities as possible! Of course, since moving to T-Mobile, I now have 2 daily drivers to separate my personal use (including personal business) from work, but I still want all the storage capacity possible to accomplish my daily tasks.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Samsung is also supposedly going to be releasing one also. I am going to hold off on buying, until the Xtreme SanDisk is available for price drop. Under 100 is typically my purchasing point. I remember the 200gb dropping in price fairly soon after release, but I know the Xtreme cards tend to stay at higher pricing for longer periods of time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones