1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General microsoft outlook

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rdeacon, Apr 17, 2011.

1. rdeacon

rdeacon Lurker
    None

Apr 17, 2011
    does anyone know of a free app to sync ms outlook to optimus m?

Advertisement

2. starstress

starstress Android Enthusiast
    None

if your trying to get email use mail@metro, thats how i get my work email

3. edgchacon

edgchacon Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Android is meant to be in the cloud. So gmail would be the place you sync with.

Best advice I can offer for the Optimus M is to export contacts and such items and attempt to import to gmail services.

I think other phone manufacture's like HTC have homegrown apps like HTC Sync, but I have not found anything for the Optimus M.

4. Codifex Maximus

None

Mar 6, 2011
    Computer Guy
    Texas
    I believe that MS Exchange Server is a proper IMAP messaging service. In that vein, you *should* be able to use any email client that is capable of IMAP messaging - almost every email client of note.

That doesn't mean you are going to be able to view or modify Outlook specific content such as TODO, CALENDAR, CONTACTS, etc...

I have not tried this but that the theory.

5. chyzdad

chyzdad Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Male
    Orange Park, FL.
    That's what I use. I get email updates faster than when I am sitting next to work computer. LOL. Also u can sync ur calendar to the phns Calender and get reminders and appointments and such.

6. edgchacon

edgchacon Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    The question was if you could sync to Outlook not to an IMAP server.

At this point if it was a work related email server IMAP or Exchange, then you are not syncing with Outlook you sync with the server.

Plus the phone has Exchange support built in, as well as IMAP.

Can the OP clear up if s/he is trying to sync "Outlook" at home or for work?

7. Charlett

Charlett Lurker
    None

May 4, 2011
    I need to be able to get my work outlook mail on my HTC desire...can anyone help?????

8. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

Jan 28, 2011
    Nowadays you can automatically (or manually) synchronize Outlook (or Windows Live Mail) email, contacts, and calendar with your Android device, as long as you have a Hotmail, MSN Mail, or Live email account. Just add it to the standard Android email app. Instructions are here. No third party app is needed and (in my opinion) it's way better than any third party synchronization app available.

Caveats:
    Any contact or calendar items will have to be on your Hotmail/MSN/Live account and will not be synchronized with Gmail (which is arguably a good thing) or be searchable with Google Voice Search (which is not a good thing since it works better than the built in voice dialer) but you can still use those contacts to make phone calls, send emails (from whatever account you choose), navigate, etc.

You need to keep your Outlook contacts and calendar events on a Hotmail/MSN/Live account in Outlook. Also, subfolders for email are allowed, but subfolders for Calendar and Contacts are not.

Somebody above suggested a 3rd party app called MyPhoneExplorer. Beware of MyPhoneExplorer because it can't handle all Outlook contact fields (like job title, phone 2, etc.) and consequently it will ruin your Outlook database if you synchronize the truncated data back to your PC!!! But again, there is no longer any need for 3rd party synchronization software.

Tags: