• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Mid-upgrade, please help

kac

Dec 27, 2009
Edinburgh
Hey

I'm trying to upgrade using just2exy's guide. I've successfully downloaded and installed instant root. I've installed and opened flashrec (using astro - clicked on the 'flashrec-1.1.3-20091107-2' file with the unpack-type icon). When launched I get the screen with the empty text box and 2 buttons - 'download recovery image' (greyed out) and 'restore back-up image'. I click 'restore', get 'Flash complete' message. Then I enter the /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img text. I think one of the buttons should mention flash then right? Plus the grey one is still grey. This make me think something's gone wrong.

Ignoring this I've downloaded titanium and clicked the 'Problems?' button. Seem to get access with the usual 'whoami' message. Clicking the 'Backup/Restore' tab gives me 3 items to backup (App Widgets, Country Language Timezone, and Wifi access points). 'Menu>Batch>Backup all user apps>Run Batch operation' doesn't seem to backup (though I get a notification saying it was successful) but I can backup if I click the 3 items individually.

After this, doing a recovery startup just gives me the 'phone warning' logo with the exclamation in the triangle. Incidentally, I've master reset the phone already and this is my second attempt at going through the steps numerous times. After the master reset I tried to access the recovery menu but only got the same warning logo. Is this significant? Also, I'm doing all this on a mac and my hero is orange on 2.73.61.5.

Aynway - I'm done for the evening - any help or advice offered would be most appreciated :)

Regards

kac

Nothing will work until you get flashrec to flash. Just to clarrify, you should remove all .img files from your SD card except for the amon ra file. Then tell flashrec to backup your image and then flash the new one. I don't know why the option to backup your image is greyed out, but you can skip this stage if you like. (You never need the old recovery menu unless you were going back to the stock ROMs and the official firmwares will restore it too).

I think you have the buttons confused. It's been a while since I've used flashrec, but from your description it sounds like 'restore backup image' is the actual flashing button; when you "restore a backup" you're replacing what's currently on the phone with the 'backup' amon ra. So type the path for the new recovery image in the box and then tell it to restore.

You're looking for a black screen with green words on it when it boots into recovery.

Titanium doesn't seem to be working either. You should have an entry per app and lots more entries for settings/OS apps.

Upvote 0
Thanks man
I think I'm being a pleb and am missing something. I do recall my sdcard having a few additional files. I'll not have a chance to get back into it for a bit but if anyone who's done it recently can tell my exactly what I'm supposed to see when doing the flashrec I'd be eternally grateful.

Upvote 0
Exactly the same thing happened to me, and it turned out that that Instant root didn't do it's job properly (even tho it said "root successful").
So i had to do the rooting the hard way (you can find how in the How to root guide. Just search for me or SammyC in there, you should find it quite easily :)

Upvote 0
Just to clear something up, you don't need to root to use Flashrec, you only need to root first if you want to use Titanium backup to backup your apps before installing a custom ROM.

Down to business, you can't root the Orange ROM that you have installed so you need to downgrade your current ROM following these instructions...
http://androidforums.com/all-things...nstall-custom-rom-backup-more.html#post454774
After that you can proceed with Flashrec unless you want to backup your apps first, then use Instantroot and Titanium backup.

Upvote 0
Cheers bluenova

Rooting doesn't seem to be the problem. I seem to have managed that ok and have been able to download root only apps (Titanium). I've also downgraded the Orange ROM. My problem seems to occur when I try to flash. Have a look at my first post below - even though it says 'flash complete' once I enter the correct text the button options don't change which suggests the flash wasn't done right. Also, when I try to do a recovery boot I get the warning page /!\ - some have said means the flash didn't work in other posts. Pressing Home and Power again gives me this message - E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command - and 3 options, 'reboot system now [Home+Back]', 'apply sdcard:update.zip [Alt+S]' and 'wipe data/factory reset [Alt+W]'. I've chosen the first one.

This is as far as I've taken it - any ideas?

kac

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones