• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MID_M1050s(chinese) bricked at android screen

Hi guys, sorry for this being my first post but I really need some help

I just got this tablet today

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MID-M...&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=8639175626089676816

it's the MID M1050s, Android ICS 4.0 made by kocaso.

I tried to install this version of firmware so I could play order and chaos online.
[SCRIPTS] - lordsbm script for all Allwinner A10 tablet ICS firmwares - SlateDroid.com

for some reason I stupidly thought my tablet was an allwinner (brain fart)

But sadly I'm looking on the boot screen (the andoid word with the shimmer running along it) and I just cant find firmware or any advice for my tablet at all!

I googled the hell out of things, all the clockwork recoverys are os based and booting pressing button combinations don't work. lots of help for tablets other than mine.

How can I flash (or just get it working) my tablet if I can get into it to turn debugging on?

I'm pretty ok with computers, but no programmer. But I'll try anything

is there anything I can do or have I wasted

Are you trying to view the files from windows or from the tablet?
We need more information, but with out it, here are some thoughts:

1. there are no files on the SD card.
2. the SD card is not formatted fat32.
3. the sd card is not being shared as a disk drive, so the files can't be seen on windows.
4. the sd card is being shared as a disk drive, so the files can't be seen on the tablet.
5. try a different SD card, if possible.

I would try turning the tablet off, waiting about 10 seconds and turning the tablet back on. then see if the problem still exists.

It seems that every tablet has a different firmware build number, so they have different bugs.

I just thought of this one. If you are using the installed file manager app, you have to select the third icon counting from the left, with the "SD" on it, to view the files on the sd cards.

Also, under "Settings->Storage" make sure media scanning is turned on for the cards.

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,
Curious if I can use this firmware you linked to bring my system back to as it was from factory, kind of like an image.

My tablet boots and operates fine except I was playing with system files dealing with the wifi trying to get it to connect to Ad Hocs. Now I cant get my file explorer programs to edit any of the files because they say I dont have root access. Every method Ive tried to get root access again on here hasnt worked and I cant find the drivers for this tablet to use SuperOneClick.

A factory reset doesnt replace the system files, it just removes all apps and user data, Ive already tried that. Curious if the above linked files would work for me since I bought it from the Global Phoenix guys as well.

Upvote 0
Sorry to have taken so long to respond, but I don't visit here very often.

The image I provided was based on a NAND dump of a brand new Kocaso M1050S. It is not quite factory. I think I have the data partition a tad too small. A tad being about 1/2 MB.

It will get you to almost the factory condition, but the caveats above apply.

It is actually an image. The version and build number are in the file name.

Once installed, if you choose to go that route, you will have root. It came from the factory that way.

I have found that Superuser or SuperSU work better than the stock su. I have had more success with the Superuser app from ChainsDD with the version I linked to. Newer versions of SuperSU from Chainfire may also work fine.

When installing one of the superuser apps, if it says it didn't succeed, just keep trying, it will eventually. And if you get tired of trying one with no success, try the other one. I did have to try both to find one that did install properly.

I would wait about 15 minutes after booting, before installing either superuser app though. It seems to take that long for things to "settle down", and respond with out much of a delay.

The firmware doesn't appear to be optimized for speed, and I think that is the problem.

If you follow the instructions, it will erase all of your data, and recreate all of the android partitions (boot, system, data, and recovery).

It really does do a hard factory reset. And it will be working again.

And like I said, this device can't be bricked, so if the flash doesn't take the first time, you can try over and over. Been there, done that. Need to get a t-shirt.

The instructions need to be followed to the letter, and it helps if you have four hands.

I haven't tried the Ad-Hocs, but in the settings for the version I linked to, there is a system setting for connect via WIFI to other devices. I haven't tried it yet. It is "Settings > Wireless & Networks > More... > Wifi Direct."

I am hoping to have a web page to document all of this, but I am not sure when it will be up, even in a basic form.

Hi Mark,
Curious if I can use this firmware you linked to bring my system back to as it was from factory, kind of like an image.

My tablet boots and operates fine except I was playing with system files dealing with the wifi trying to get it to connect to Ad Hocs. Now I cant get my file explorer programs to edit any of the files because they say I dont have root access. Every method Ive tried to get root access again on here hasnt worked and I cant find the drivers for this tablet to use SuperOneClick.

A factory reset doesnt replace the system files, it just removes all apps and user data, Ive already tried that. Curious if the above linked files would work for me since I bought it from the Global Phoenix guys as well.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Reactions: itfidds
Upvote 0
markgutzwiller, what a great post! Has saved my bacon!!!

Took a while but got there in the end.

Just as a confirmation I followed these procedures: -

1. Make sure your tablet has been charged for at least an hour AND is powered off.
2. Open "livesuit" folder, click on the Livesuit107.zip file and press Ctrl-S to download folder the your system.
3. Extract the files from this ZIP file to a folder your system.
4. Run LiveSuit.exe. (On Windows 7 I had to run the LiveSuitPack_version_1.07_2011026.exe to install the device driver first)
4a. Click through the pages of the wizard (select the format option) until you get to finish page and click finish.
5. In LiveSuit click on [SelectImg] button.
6. Load IMG file from \M1050 Firmware Image File\ folder.
7. While pressing Volume Down (Vol -) button, connect the USB cable between your Windows computer and the tablet.
8. Press Power button approximately 10 times until you see Livesuit open on your computer asking about formatting the unit.
9. Click on the Yes button twice.
10. You should now see the progress of the update. This will take a couple of minutes. Once completed, the tablet should be successfully updated.

And hey presto my M1050S is back in the land of living.

Again, great post...

Cheers

Upvote 0
Okay, I have the firmware for the M1050S, and I'm testing it. I'll have a download link ready in a couple of days if all goes well.

One nice thing about this device is that you can't brick it if you have the firmware.

Mark is there a possability you might have the factory firmware or something that works and fixes wifi connection. Kocaso made me laugh when they said try all firmwares as they work with all their tablets. Did it and to no avail. Just trying to find a working firmware for M1050s tablet.
Thanks and will check back daily.

Upvote 0
Mark is there a possability you might have the factory firmware or something that works and fixes wifi connection. Kocaso made me laugh when they said try all firmwares as they work with all their tablets. Did it and to no avail. Just trying to find a working firmware for M1050s tablet.
Thanks and will check back daily.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones