• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

midi files playing soft

ubza_1234

Lurker
Dec 10, 2013
hi there!

every time I play a midi file, it plays quieter them the other music file types like MP3, ogg etc. when I press the next song button, for a spit second the volume returns to the correct volume just before the next song starts.

this seems to happen on the s2, S3 and express using the standard player. when I had my s2, I tried using mortplayer and had the same problem.

any idea why this is happening and more importantly, how to remedy it? also, my phones are not rooted.

cheers guys!

MID is totally digital. I have a boatload of MID that I use for ringtones. The older ones are quieter than the new ones. The bass and drums are synthetic.

If you look at the file size, a 4 minute MID version of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" is 17K for all four minutes. The Vulcan informed me that Audio, at least on the digital TV was still analog - re-engineered. So MP3, OGG would be the same.

Very hard to edit the buggers, too. Did you record your own?

I've edited MP3s. You take the sound wave and cut it where you want it. MID doesn't have sound waves like an MP3.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
ya I get that andhow midi files are constructed and what they are and that, but why does it for a spit second go to an acceptable volume when I hit skip track? I feel as if the decoder/arrange part of the music player is turned down until I hit skip track.. i dunno, just an droid problem that's bugged me for years.. lol

Upvote 0
There might be a governor for DB set into the phone to keep it from blasting on playback. Yours has a hesitation of some sort. It isn't kicking in before the sound.

Are you using headphones? I think there is something to keep the volume down when plugging in earphones. You can adjust after. Too many people must have been getting their eardrums blasted if they plugged in earphones, especially while music was playing.

Upvote 0
MID is totally digital. I have a boatload of MID that I use for ringtones. The older ones are quieter than the new ones. The bass and drums are synthetic.

They can be real, all depends on the soundfont used. Don't know what they're using for the stock midi player in Android, I'd guess that they're using synthesized drums and bass, saves space. The whole playback can be totally synthetic, e.g. a midi player is using FM synthesis, and no instrument samples at all, e.g. the original Sound Blaster. The best default midi playback quality I've come across in any OS is Mac OS X. Because it includes a decent soundfont library.

If you look at the file size, a 4 minute MID version of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" is 17K for all four minutes. The Vulcan informed me that Audio, at least on the digital TV was still analog - re-engineered. So MP3, OGG would be the same.

Very hard to edit the buggers, too. Did you record your own?

I've edited MP3s. You take the sound wave and cut it where you want it. MID doesn't have sound waves like an MP3.

You can edit midi files. But you do have to know something about music and how sequencing software works.

A midi player is basically a synthesizer with all the instrument samples already there plus effects, and the .MID files are really just a sequence of instructions on how to play it. If a midi file is playing the instruments soft, then it will sound quiet.

Upvote 0
That's why it's hard to edit. Found out about the size of the files years ago when I had to use BitPim to get stuff on a Verizon phone. The MID files were so small, I didn't have to cut them. I've just transferred them over to every phone I've had since.

The Vulcan had to cut the ringtone (mp3) to fit on the Nokia. Phone is too old to have software that does the cut automatically.

Upvote 0
A considered guess.I suspect the data for the midi file's volume is being read a little late.First thing I would try is to edit the file and set a higher/full volume.

Try here,

http://midi.mathewvp.com/midiVolume.php

I've just used the page for a couple and it upped the volume(127).Ignore that you don't see your uploaded file name once it's been up loaded.Just apply 127 then create midi and then the save option back to your device.

Also noted that my GT normal media player does not play them as loud as ES file explorer's media player.Unfortunately,"Power Amp" app/media player doesn't seem to support midi files as then I could add some EQ to playback.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones