1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Might buy a samsung galaxy s2 saturday

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vakil, Jan 30, 2012.

1. vakil

vakil Newbie

I'm going to be buying my first smart phone Saturday and im thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy S2, would you guys reccomend i get this phone and for people who have had this phone, do you experience any sort of problems, and also would this phone last me until my next upgrade?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. If money isn't a factor nor time I would wait on the galaxy note. It is a big phone at 5.25 inches but it also has a 720p screen. But that's just me. That being said I love the gsII and would not hesitate to buy it again.

3. Rolex81

Rolex81 Newbie

The Galaxy s2 is an amazing phone and is fully capable of holding you over until your next upgrade. If you are worried about the phone having a newer version released in the next few months and having a better processor, screen, camera, or whatever else then you should never upgrade cause thats going to happen regardless of how long you wait. The note is huge at 5.25 and who would want to carry that in their pocket? IMO get the Galaxy you wont be disappointed.

There have been issues with the battery since the 2.3.6 upgrade but that can be worked around with rooting (if you are considering rooting) No phone is perfect though. Read around in this forum, head over to xda and see what they have to say also and you will get a feel for the phone. Ignore the negative posters as most of them have self inflicted issues and would just rather blame the phone other than accept they are doing something wrong.

vakil likes this.
  4. vakil

vakil Newbie

i am not worried about the phone having a newer version because the samsung galaxy s2 is 4.3 inch screen and that is the perfect size phone for me and i was also worried about my galaxy s2 having problems, i read around the forum and noticed problems but that was only because they caused the problem. I want my phone to last and not break down so that is why i was worried.

5. wolfyboy359

wolfyboy359 Well-Known Member

well it all depends on your patience. Like said above, battery life can be an issue at this point, and to some people it's a bigger issue than others... to me, I can deal, but some people can't. Other than that it's a great phone and you will love it. Are you going to root and maybe install custom roms?

vakil likes this.
  6. vakil

vakil Newbie

i just want it to last me through out the day and yes i am willing to root and install custom roms. are you experiencing any more problems with your phone? i have a ipod touch(jailbroken) and i think its really boring and i have used my friends iphones before and i do not really like them so i am really excited to get my first android phone.

7. misterrunon

misterrunon Well-Known Member

it's a perfect phone and i'd buy it again.. it takes some time to customize the phone, but once you do, youll feel like it's yours (unlike iphones).

vakil likes this.
  8. wolfyboy359

I cannot think of any other problems I am experiencing. Except I am debating whether or not to root. That's not a real problem, though. I had some initial problems with dropped calls, but that cleared up. I am still getting used to the touchscreen. I sometimes accidentally hang up on people. But again, that's nitpicking.

9. vakil

vakil Newbie

how long have you had your phone? and every phone has its problems

10. wolfyboy359

me? about two or three weeks. not long I know, but I think I've seen it from all angles by now.

11. wolfyboy359

oh I did think of something that sucks, it's not easy to just sync with outlook. Either you need a shady app from who knows where or samsung kies. And Kies SUCKS. I have a weird and convoluted solution which works for me. Did I mention Kies SUCKS?

edit: also you can end up with two calendars and two contacts if you're not careful. Google ones and "other" ones.

12. dksmoove

dksmoove Newbie

The sg2 will last you a day with these current battery problems (as long as you aren't playing too much games).

13. misterrunon

misterrunon Well-Known Member

he's willing to root and install custom roms.. so he won't see any battery life issues.

14. vakil

vakil Newbie

so rooting gets rid of battery issues? and have yall been experiencing overheating problems with ur phone?

15. wolfyboy359

I don't think rooting alone will solve the problem, although I have heard it will in this thread. But you may need a custom rom to solve the problem.

edit: oh and I have experienced a too warm phone playing a graphics intensive game, but it didn't cause a problem, I stopped playing the game, though.

16. vakil

vakil Newbie

i will play around the phone a little bit and get used to it then root it i think, and other than playing a graphics intensive game, it stays normal? i think i am convinced into getting this phone now :)

17. wolfyboy359

hope you like it!! =)

18. NinerBikes

NinerBikes Member

If you get a phone, do NOT do the upgrade of software from the existing 2.3.4 to 2.3.6 with the Over the Air update from AT&T. Run it in 2.3.4 , as is, until you get a feel for it, a few weeks, at least, then consider rooting it with a method that does not use the counter for flashing.

19. vakil

vakil Newbie

I just got my phone yesterday and I love it :) is there any way to get battery percentage on the status bar ?

20. rgr555

rgr555 Well-Known Member

Yea, check out the Batteryminder app. Great app.

21. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert

Or battery indicator

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews