1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Might buy- wish exterior design was more robust

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blackdog709, Jan 14, 2013.

1. blackdog709

blackdog709 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    I've been running a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 which looks like a Note 2 from 4 feet away. Had it over a year. It seems that while Samsung engineers and designers are busy on the outside, the "shell" guys are out back smoking and watching Netflix. They still keep churning out the same cheap-looking plasticy cases year after year. Why not rip off Apple's design sensibility, or make a stab at it themselves, and produces an aluminum or metal shell with some style to it? I'm having a hard time visualizing paying the almost unprecedented price of this phone...and the white or gray plastic isn't helping me.

Guess I'm just ranting...no real response to that, is there?

Advertisement

2. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    I think that a "metal shell" could be a detriment to "what I feel" is already marginal Samsung reception capability. Given that a significant number of people, including iphone users, use protective/decorative cases, I can understand why minimal effort may be spent on external design/materials. They did have to make 100Million of these...lot of material.

3. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA
    my phone is always in a case anyway, so i couldn't care less about the "plasticky" feel. seriously. its a great phone, but I also couldn't care less if you want one or not. :) i.e, to each his own.

4. _-Jay-_

_-Jay-_ Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ
    Metal = Heavy
    Plastic = Light

Have you picked up an iPhone 4S? Weighs just as much as my N2 but is much smaller. These days it's all about thinner & lighter which is easier to accomplish using plastic shells.

Also,

Metal = Higher Manufacturing Costs
    Plastic = Lower Manufacturing Costs

Plastic has more give to it as well. Go check out some of the drop tests that were done between the 4S and the GS3.

5. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2012
    SoCal
    I have an aluminum bumper around my Note II. You could also get aluminum battery cover. I didn't because the ones out there does not support NFC chip. But with just the metal bumper, it is very solid not plastic at all. But I have to say even without the metal bumper, the phone feels really good in the hand. In fact, it fits so well that I am afraid the I will forget it is there and let it slip and drop it. That's why I have the bumper. :p