1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Might have bricked my Epic - power on to only Phone ! Pc icon

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by qstarin, Mar 20, 2011.

1. qstarin

qstarin Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Hi, hoping I can find a little help with my problem.

I have an Epic that when booting normally or into recovery mode (I can still boot to Download Mode) shows only a black and white and orange icon like:

Phone .. ! .. Pc

(it's a little picture of a phone and pc, with a black ! in an orange triangle between the phone and pc)

I was running Midnight ROM v3.2 for maybe a month, but some issues had appeared. I couldn't connect to the PC through USB and I couldn't seem to connect to 3G or 4G anymore.

So I went to upgrade to Midnight v4.2 last night.

My first step was to Odin to stock EB13. And that is where the problem happened.

Odin seemed eternally stuck at an Initializing... step (over 5 minutes). So I closed Odin and unplugged the phone.

I rebooted the phone and tried again with Odin going to stock DI18. Again it was stuck at Initializing... so again I closed Odin and unplugged the phone.

I then tried to reboot into recovery, and was greeted for the first time with the Phone .. ! .. Pc icon.

Now, whenever I connect the phone to any pc, with any cable, to any port .. I just get Windows saying USB device could not be recognized or has malfunctioned, and Odin will not see the device any longer.

I have tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling the drivers, as well as trying completely new PC's, but I always get the same result: cannot connect with Odin at all and cannot boot the phone into anything but Download mode or the Phone .. ! .. Pc icon screen.

Any ideas of what to try? Or what I can tell Sprint might have happened in hopes of getting a new one, lol.

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    If you can boot into DL mode you are still safe.

Try a different cable and port. Pull the battery prior to powering into DL mode. Download the .tar files again.

only1penny likes this.
  3. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi
    I have had that same exact thing happen to me. I swapped cables, an old moment cable ironically, and it worked right away! So since i bought some after market cables off of ebay and havent had any driver issues on either one of my computers since. Good luck! :)

4. qstarin

qstarin Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011

I did try different cables, ports, and computers. The tar's weren't even an issue as Odin wouldn't see the phone and allow me to start a flash.

I did also try download mode without a battery as I had seen that mentioned here, but that did not help either.

So I ran over to Sprint and their tech was able to flash it back to stock.

With it back at stock I had no trouble's installing cw mod 3.0.0.6, converting to ext4, and flashing midnight v4.2. ;-)

Thanks for the responses though. I still don't know what got the phone stuck on stupid, or exactly how the tech un-stupided it, heh. Said they were able to get it to hook up on their pc so...

5. jahsun

jahsun Lurker
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    I just had this same problem after trying to change the modem to ec05. Reason being, I installed gingerbread EI22, and was modem was an older version, and the only "decent" way to install EI22 modem is forst installing EC05. Anyway, while doing it with ODIN, it failed, and I started getting those same icons at boot. What I figures out doing was this. I have two PC's. On my first PC, when I was putting the phone into Download mode, it was giving me that friggin "device not recognized" message, now matter which USB i plugged into, & i tried like 6 different cables too. So I connected to my second PC, I was getting the same thing. Then after trying different method, I ended up pulling the cable from the phone and the battery from the phone. I plugged in the cable, with the minimal power being supplied by my PC, i pressed the buttons to boot into recovery, it beeped and lights flashed and then turned off. I then put the battery back in, pressed the buttons again to get into recovery, got into recovery, and ended up doing a complete wipe/factory reset. After that, I was able to reboot normally. Powered off, booted to DL mode, installed the EI11 modem, verified install. Rebooted into recovery, & installed the EI11 rom. Now all is good. I just have to restore all my backups of my apps and info. Hope you are able to get yours working, or have gotten your working.

Oh by the way, I am rooted with clockworkmod, so that's what i as using for recovery.