• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Might have to return Nexus, Cannot even get 3G! Help!

Well right after I got everything setup and working perfectly I turn wifi off for the first time. This was the biggest disappointment of all time. I never had any issues with phone calls so I figured my service was fine. (No 4G in my area) But as soon as I turned off wifi I cannot even connect to market, maps, anything! I tried turning of LTE and still same amount of bars, nothing. Then I also realized that I am NOT EVEN ON 3G, I figured 3G was default and it didn't need to say 3G. I can't even connect to 3G. So I'm on 1X at my house with my brand new Galaxy Nexus, wonderful. This is brutal, I don't want to return this phone.....but it looks like I have to.

I would ask for suggestions but I doubt there is anything to be done.....is there?

Signal strength: -93dBm 2asu occassionally jumps to -83 but only for a few seconds and still cannot establish a connection. It also will very rarely get an actual 3G connection with a -93dBm signal as well. We'll see how long that lasts though.

Mobile network state "Disconnected"

This really sucks! :(

Have you tried turning on and off airplane mode? This will reset the signal. If that doesn't help you might need to exchange it.

Yes, and turning it off and on multiple times.

Do you really think exchanging it is going to do anything?

It just sucks because right after I finally get acclimated to Android (previous Apple enthusiast) crap like this happens that make's it literally impossible for me to switch even if I wanted to. I obviously cannot have no 3G or 4G at my house. Especially when my friends iPhone 4s get's perfect 3G service here.

Upvote 0
my 3g is usually at -93, and i've noticed other people post that exact number too..hmmm...my 4g is at -103 or so. anyway, that should be enough to get a data signal. but i've also noticed some issues when switching from wifi to mobile, from 4g to 3g, etc. they usually iron themselves out on their own in a minute or two. once though I did have to restart the phone. if that doesn't help, try taking out the battery and/or sim card for a minute.

Upvote 0
Yes, and turning it off and on multiple times.

Do you really think exchanging it is going to do anything?

It just sucks because right after I finally get acclimated to Android (previous Apple enthusiast) crap like this happens that make's it literally impossible for me to switch even if I wanted to. I obviously cannot have no 3G or 4G at my house. Especially when my friends iPhone 4s get's perfect 3G service here.

Yes, while there's been reports of people having 3/4G issues, others like me, don't have it. My GN has the same signal as my Droid X, outside and inside.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones