1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root might want to read this

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scotty85, Jun 12, 2011.

1. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    PLEASE READ: Information Gathering: Those who have Bricked and have not - Page 70 - xda-developers

starting at post #700

not sayin that folks should not run mr2 based roms,or GB roms,or that the new radio is bad,but if youve quit payin attention to this thread,you might want to start watching it again and see if any new info pops up.

might just be a random coincidence,but if nothing else it may slow kernel deveolpment until he gets a replacement. ;)

ill be watching that,and watching for a warning thread if they find something.

ive been back on cm7 since yesterday(tho not cause im skeert :D).

Advertisement

bjanow likes this.
  2. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    Yeah.. he doesn't know what caused it.
    Also remember he flashes more stuff more frequently than we do.

3. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    very discouraging. what good is having a unlocked boot loader if the flashing process eventually bricks your phone?

4. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    it does make you wonder,doesnt it? i almost think he shouldnt have said anything,as it does not seem to be the same situation as the emmc failures.

hopefully we dont find out that ultimately different batches of our phones were made with different off brand parts that will eventually leave us bricked :eek:

it may be nothing,but its worth watching to see what comes of it.

5. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    I think for now I slow up on flashing and only flash roms and kernels that have major advancements.

6. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    thats prolly my course of action,unless cool stuff come out ;)

im extrememly happy with cm7 and have not much urge to do anything else,anyway.

hopefully something comes of it this time,and not just fade into the sunset like the first ones bricks did.

7. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    he flashes probably 100x the normal person on here and 50x the normal person on XDA. I really dont think there is a huge risk. its sad to see, i think he got a refurb for now to replace his.

8. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    Still you wouldn't begin to believe how many times I flashed things on my droid1 (and still do for that matter). I cant think of one d1 ever bricking from a hardware issue from flashing.
    I cant help but wonder if there's some correlation between his bricked bolt and the first round of bricked devices. Like they said time bomb.

9. rexdog1888

rexdog1888 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Texas
    Ya i had a d1 too, that phone was almost unbrickable

10. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    he said it wasnt even bricked during the flash process, it was a little while later during a reboot.

11. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    True but im guessing that the "reboot or two later" was an indirect result of the prior flash.
    But I digress.

12. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    is anyone following him on twitter? if so,pm me his info so i can follow also...

almost sounds like you guys have extra info :eek:

to me,his equipment failure could be a fluke and not flash related at all.

also,i dont believe that how much he flashes has anything to do with it,unless more "off brand" parts are suspected...

13. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    No extra knowledge. Just guess work and speculation. Same as everyone else.
    This is my forth android phone. This is also the first device that I have seen random bricking.
    I have noticed no one in the general subforums (and I follow multiple android forums) experiencing this. Now we have reports of bricking on two different radios and two different firmware versions.

*digdug scratches head* :(

14. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    no extra info, just going by whats in that thread. I havent seen him say anything on twitter about it but i have 500 people so i miss stuff here and there lol

http://twitter.com/#!/adrynalyne

scotty85 likes this.
  15. djkeller3

djkeller3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Business Owner
    Lexington, KY
    I'm with you on that. It's why I haven't flashed CM7 test 4 yet. I thought about flashing it today in fact, but knew the issues with data would have me back on BAMF by the time I went to bed.

In fact, I'm not even gonna flash the next BAMF Remix unless the Kingdom port is in it.

16. djkeller3

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Business Owner
    Lexington, KY
    I miss my OG for that very reason. I flashed EVERYTHING that would run on it while I used it. I can't begin to explain what all I did to that thing. I flashed fearlessly. It never occurred to me that bricking was even possible. It was only hypothetical.

17. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    thats funny... i was always nervous flashin stuff on my OG droid. i dint want to have to mess with sbf files and rsd lite if something went haywire!

i got an incredible cause i had so much fun flashing my eris. i have flashed the aboslute crap out of both of them(and actually still do). especially the eris... its taken the abuse of more flashes than i can count,my adb learning curve,plus ive unrooted and re-rooted it several times for various reasons. ive even made my own hboot flashable files. the only thing that can kill an eris is clockwork recovery :eek: but weve even brought a few of em back from that :cool:

i absolutely love that no matter what i flash on my incredible it will stay s-off,and all i gotta do is flash Amon in hboot to get back to a rooted phone. ive done some experiments with it that i prolly shouldnt have also,lol...

i guess what im getting at is that i like much better how htc phones work. now if we could just get a "forever" patch from unrevoked ;)

the latest cm7 is working just as well on my TB as it has my inc or my OG droid. even the battery life is getting under control(now at 14 hrs on and still at 33%). gps locks right away,wifi to data transitions fine,bluetooth works great,3g never disapears... it honestly has no issues that ive noticed. only thing i cant comment on is 4g,since we dont have that here yet.

thanks howarmat for the link... now following :D

18. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    he doesnt post much to twitter honestly. He might have another account for personal use though or something.

19. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    no he doesnt,does he... his latest tweet is from june 1st,lol

20. djkeller3

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Business Owner
    Lexington, KY
    Yeah, I was afraid of RSD Lite and the SBF like you were at first, but I got over it after my first few ROM flashes. There were a few my OG just wouldn't run for some reason... like Sapphire and Ultimate Droid. Tried several times at various points to run them but no luck.

Like you, I went from the OG to the Incredible and continued my ROM-whore ways, but settled on CM7. I would flash something else, and then I'd be back in a day or to to CM7. To me, the Dinc is just as open as the OG is, but with better internal hardware. My Dinc will always be one of the best phones I've ever had.

I've also gotten accustomed to HTC and like the way they're set up. I doubt that I'll ever go back to Motorola, even if they unlock bootloaders. With Sense 3.0, HTC BY FAR has the very best skin... Touchwiz and Blur can in no way compare. I like having the choice between Sense ROMs and AOSP ROMs, and we get that with HTC.

Didn't mean to turn this into an HTC commercial, but I agree with you and share a very similar phone history.

CM7 is my favorite ROM. It was so perfect on my Dinc. Though BAMF has shown me that Sense can be beautiful and cool, I love the very nature of AOSP and the pure Android experience it brings. You've almost persuaded me to flash test 4. I'm excited about the reports of battery time being vastly improved. If 3G and wifi would be consistent for me, I'd flash it for sure.

21. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    i agree with you 100%... if you gotta have a skin,sense is by far the best. i also enjoy sense roms for a couple days at a time as long as i got AOSP to go back to ;) i was the exact same way on my inc. i got used to android on my OG... so im very used to plain old vanilla android... and am always drawn back to it. tho i have become accustomed to some of CMs lil tweeks :D

i know you keep track of the xda thread,too. what i dont understand is the inconsistency. i wish we could figure out why some folks have trouble with it and some dont. there is even a guy on the other theread here that cant get wifi to work. i dont understand. all i did was wipe data/cache/dalvik and use the newest gapps with the oldest froyo radios and its working great :thinking:

22. djkeller3

None

Jan 5, 2010
    Business Owner
    Lexington, KY
    That's what I did to get it working too. The issue I had with data was not being able to hand off between 3G and wifi without having to reboot. If I was on one or the other, it worked great. Sometimes I would get a grayed out 3G indicator, but data would still be there.:thinking: Not a problem of course, if it was working.:)

I think the inconsistency may come in where people wipe data and cache, but not dalvik; and when they do wipe, they wipe once or twice... I've always wanted to play it safe and wipe a minimum of 3X and often 5X just to be sure.

You're right... I watch that XDA thread daily. I'm just about to the point of flashing test 4. I need to find the Froyo radio again and keep them labeled on my computer so I don't get them mixed up (Froyo and MR1). Then I'll give it another whirl for sure.:D

23. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    for those that are interested in this issue... adrenalyne mentions it in the RUU thread also,but so far hasnt provided any more info than he has inthe other thread.

[RUU] [LEAK] Full MR2 - 1.66.605.2 - Froyo - Page 11 - xda-developers
    start reading at post #109

what is also interesting is that look like a couple of people have flashed mr2 over their rooted device without recieving the security warning.

24. SecondShot

SecondShot Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2011
    Washington DC
    If I understand you correctly, when I flashed the MR2 radio following DB 2.05, i didn't receive any security warning that i can remember. Maybe it was a version prior to them adding that warning. I did not download the super secret triple probation leak...just the regular MR2 radio release which seems to be suspect due to Adrenlyn's experience.

25. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    You will not get a security warning flashing only the radio from any ruu,and it looks like you may not get it flashing the whole mr2.

In other cases(mr1) flashing the signed ruu over custom firmware causes the bootloader to send out the security warning that something is not right. Trying to flash older firmware to fix results in a "Main version Higher" error,so the only fix is to try and flash newer firmware.

If flashing mr2 over rooted firmware resulted in the security warning,there would be no fix until another signed ruu is released.

Essentially leaving your phone unusable (bricked) until a newer ruu became a available.

Hope that makes sense :)