• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Migrating from G1

Fuego

Jan 14, 2010
So, I finally purchased a G2 and so far, I am very excited by it. One of the things that I realized is that I will either need to re-download all of my free apps (some of which are no longer in the market) or root both my G1 and my G2 and use something like Titanium or MyBackup to transfer the apps and settings and relink them to the market. This is one area where I wish Google would make things easier.

The main issue is that some of my apps are no longer in the market so I can't download them anymore. I haven't done it yet, but I think I can easily root my G1 using the 1 click AndRoot method. But I have been reading people have been experiencing issues temprooting with the Visionary method.

Also, I am a little hazy on the whole S-on/off thing. What does this mean and how can I change it? Does it involve flashing a new ROM?

Does anyone have any pointers/tricks to watch out for when trying to TempRoot my G2? Is there a revision that works best with Visionary? Will there be any issues transfering data/apps from Android 1.6 (G1) to Android 2.2 (G2)? Is it even worth it or should I just try and find the apps that I can't download anymore through other channels and sideload them?

Thanks!

download astro file manager

it allows backups 2 sd through the app,
hit menu > tools > application manager/backup
wait for it to load packages
hit the installed tab
then check the box under right installed apps it will select all installed apps
then click backup adn let astro do all the work
then you move all things over to the g2 memory card (unless yours is bigger than the stock 8gb card)
download astro onto the g2,
then go to settings > Applications > check the unknown sources box,
launch astro.
hit menu > tools > application manager/backup hit the backed up tab
then check the box right under backed up apps it will select all backed up apps
the hit install and wala :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones