• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Migrating from Windows Mobile to Android (apps replacements)

snake_net

Lurker
May 14, 2011
Hello everyone,

I tried to search all over the Internet to find the answer to my questions, but I never manager to do that and therefore decided to post a question on this forum. A short information about myself: currently I am an active Windows Mobile 6.5 user that plans to change his mobile device. I really do not like neither the new MS product (Windows Phone 7) nor iPhone and therefore my third and only option is Android. Before I will make my leap of faith, I would like to find a bit more information about the platform itself and the application ecosystem to make sure that I will be able to replace my WM apps with Android alternatives. It is really hard to google that kind of information (of course you can find an answer to a couple of my questions, but not to all of them) so the Android community seems to be my only hope :)

Below, I will present in a few words most commonly used apps (from my personal perspective) in Windows Mobile and I hope that you will be able to just state the name of the Android alternative. I should also mention that I have never had an Android device in my hands and therefore some of my questions might be shocking ;) Whenever it is important, I mention the name of the WM app in brackets (perhaps some of you are former WM users). I also hope that this thread will help WM users migrate to Android. Later on I plan to edit my post and publish your answers next to my questions to increase readability and help other users move their stuff to Android device.

Here comes the list:

• Pdf reader (WM App: Adobre Reader LE)
  • Is there any built-in or custom application to use Google translate (WM App: Anuvadak)?
  • QR code reader (WM App: BeeTagg)
  • Application to automatically redirect certain incoming calls to voice mail or disconnect them (WM App: Call Firewall)
  • Dropbox client (WM App: CloudFiles)
  • Video player with multiple video formats support (WM App: CorePlayer)
  • Are there any tools to edit/view MS documents (Excel, Word Mobile)?
  • Is it possible to replace the default keyboard (WM App: Finger Keyboard)? If so, which one do you like the most?
  • Alarm clock (WM App: G-Alarm) with multiple alarms and options
  • Stopwatch
  • Shopping list (WM App: HandyShpr)
  • Is it possible to share Internet connection with a computer (WM App: Internet Sharing)?
  • Password manager (WM App: KeePassPPC)
  • Is there any application to count the total time of phone calls (incoming, outgoing), text messages, data usage between two certain dates?
  • Song recognition (WM App: Midomi)
  • Application to remotely connect (through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi) to the phone (WM App: MyMobiler)

Attachments

• Applications.pdf
    205 KB · Views: 62
Pdf reader (WM App: Adobre Reader LE)
Adobe Reader

Is there any built-in or custom application to use Google translate (WM App: Anuvadak)?

QR code reader (WM App: BeeTagg)
Shopsavvy

Application to automatically redirect certain incoming calls to voice mail or disconnect them (WM App: Call Firewall)

Dropbox client (WM App: CloudFiles)
Dropbox

Video player with multiple video formats support (WM App: CorePlayer)

Are there any tools to edit/view MS documents (Excel, Word Mobile)?
Quick Office

Is it possible to replace the default keyboard (WM App: Finger Keyboard)? If so, which
one do you like the most?
Swiftkey

Alarm clock (WM App: G-Alarm) with multiple alarms and options
Alarmdroid

Stopwatch

Shopping list (WM App: HandyShpr)
OI shopping list

Is it possible to share Internet connection with a computer (WM App: Internet Sharing)?

Password manager (WM App: KeePassPPC)
Keepassdroid (keepass)

Is there any application to count the total time of phone calls (incoming, outgoing), text
messages, data usage between two certain dates?
3G Watchdog for data usage/there is one for calls and messages but can't remember name

Song recognition (WM App: Midomi)
Shazam/Soundhound

Application to remotely connect (through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi) to the phone (WM App:
MyMobiler) – similar to remote desktop by making it possible to see the screen of the
device on your computer

Application to disable Internet connection (through 3G or GPRS) in roaming (WM App: NoData)

Notes manager (WM App: OneNote Mobile)
Evernote/colornote

Is there Opera Mobile for Android?
yes

Multi-communicator (WM App: Palringo)

Skype?
yes

Organizer (task list, packing list)
Astrid Tasks/Colornote

Backup tool (WM App: SPB Backup)
Titanium backup/My Backup/ SMS Backup

RSS reader (WM App: SPB News)

Profile manager (multiple profiles support, time based profiles, location based profiles, etc.)
Tasker

Is it possible to configure Android or download/buy an application that would remind me (by vibration or sound) that I have unread messages, unanswered calls etc., every x minutes?

Application to synchronize contacts and calendar with Outlook

Voice dialing
Vlingo

Reactions: snake_net
Upvote 0
You'll find that if it isn't already part of the operating system on your particular handset then there will be at least one app on the market that will do it.

In fact there will more than likely be multiple apps for everything on your list and then some.

Try searching the Android Market: https://market.android.com/
App Brian is another location to try searching: Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com

And, last but not least, you can also try a google search - preface your search with the keyword "Android".

These forums and the XDA forums are also good places to find apps and information.

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for all your replies.

@qraider: I am sure one is able to find this information via Google or Android Market, but you have to admit that it requires a lot of time and still one has no idea which of those apps are of good quality. I decided to post my questions, to make it easier for all WM6 users to migrate to Android. I will also try to post my findings later on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones