• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Migrating over to a Nexus 4 from an LG G2x. Will I need to buy a new sim card for LTE?

zeth006

Dec 22, 2010
So I've finally decided to ditch my clunky G2x for a used Nexus 4. I'm aware that recent OS updates by Google disable LTE support, which means I'll have to flash a ROM and/or flash older radio firmware to get LTE up and working. While my G2x used a regular sim card, I've noticed the N4 requires a micro sim. I've gotten a hold of instructions on how to cut my regular sim card down to size, but I've also just read elsewhere that older sim cards don't support LTE, only 3G and possibly HSPA+ 42mbps.

If I go through the proper steps to re-enable LTE on my N4, will I also need to buy a new sim card to get it working as well? Do T-Mobile stores offer micro sim cards free, or do I need to order a new one online? (Read on another forum where some dude said he just walked into a store and got one free...)

Without knowing the details of your current SIM I couldn't tell you whether or not it would work for LTE for you. When I upgraded to the N4 from the Galaxy Nexus, I walked into a T-Mobile store and walked out five minutes later with a freshly provisioned micro SIM for free. (More recently, though, I've been told that they charge $10 for a SIM kit in the store). It's really up to you. If you're feeling frisky, cut your current SIM down and see how it works. You can always go pick up a replacement SIM in the correct size if it doesn't work out.

Also, you don't actually need a custom ROM to get LTE. You'll need root, an older or hybrid radio, and the ability to edit the build.prop file. In fact, there's even an app available that will do all that for you .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones