1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root MikG2.61, how do I get a GPS indicator back?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Palmetto Fellow, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    I am running MikG2.61 on my EVO and I like it so far. One thing however is that the GPS indicator is removed. I would have rather had an option to turn it off instead of just losing it completely.

So how can I get this thing back, or can I even get a cooler looking one? I'd prefer something that looked more like a satellite dish instead of a world compass thingy that HTC uses.

The best option would be something that is only visible when GPS is active. Then the color changes on the indicator when it's in use. Unlike the stock indicator, it would not be on there constantly, with a slash through it when off. It would simply not appear until i actually turned GPS on.

If this is more of an app thread, please move it as needed.

Advertisement

2. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    Have you tried it when using navigation? I know mine comes on when I am using an app that requires it. I will be releasing a couple themes this week that have a different GPS icon in the status bar. It will look like a satellite.

Palmetto Fellow, ocnbrze and Granite1 like this.
  3. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think, not 100% sure here, that the indicator does in fact turn on when the GPS is being used. IE: when the navigation app is being used, otherwise the icon is hidden.

EDIT: Xtreme beat me to it! Thanks for the clarification homie!

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Palmetto Fellow

None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    I do get this motification when connected, but I don't get one when it's on. I don't want to leave GPS on all the time, and would prefer to know that it's on when it is.

This really centers around an issue I had last night. It could be unrelated, which would require more investigation, but my battery went from 50% to 11% in a 5 hour stretch of time while I was asleep. The next morning, i went to turn on GPS, and it was already on. So I assumed that the GPS being on helped drain the battery while the phone was off at night.

Does GPS being on while not connected drain the battery?

5. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    It will definitely drain your battery. Almost as bad as having no signal and leaving your mobile network on to search all the time for signal. I would just leave a widget on one of your screens or check it in the quick settings dropdown in the notification bar.

Palmetto Fellow likes this.
  6. Palmetto Fellow

None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    That's what prompted this thread. Is there anything I can add now that will give the requested functionality to the status bar?

I do have SwitchPro and can go that route as an indicator, but would much rather have an indicator in the status bar.

7. Xtremedays

None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    I will take a look at the xml files for the gps indicator and see if it is something that is easy to change or if it is beyond my current knowledge level.

ocnbrze and Granite1 like this.
  8. RCope48

RCope48 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 30, 2010
    Boiler Master
    Colorado
    I have a little program from the market called wifi status, if you are out of range of wifi, it puts a little icon in the status bar to show you are out of range and you can turn it off....should be something along those lines for the GPS too....let me know if you find it, or maybe the dev who made this could do the same with GPS

Tags: